love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 53625 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
It is like teacher evaluation. Ideally I would have test results before and after they had a class and I could see their value added to the students (and whatever other control measures necessary). I could sort out whether a bad teacher just had a great class that learned in spite of the teacher or whether they had a normal class that benefitted greatly from a good teacher. But with film I don't have that information. I can intuit based on other people's reports, but by and large I don't have the information necessary to break apart film quality from director quality. Maybe I can know that Kevin Smith should be knocked down but there are others on the list who probably should as well but I don't know that they should. I expect M Night is the opposite to some degree. He's a much better director who is held back by M Night the writer.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 11:38:52 AM »
If you like his films that's a perfectly good reason to put him on your list, Bondo.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
Guys like a Soderbergh or Welles have their fingerprints all over a film.

Conversely, if a director decides to be "hands off" regarding a lot of the stuff in the movie, as Kevin Smith admittably is, that is his decision and the movie's quality is affected by it (for better or worse).

I dunno, to me, ranking directors is basically a ranking of their filmographies. This is only adjusted if there a performance in a movie or something that heavily influences the quality. I dont know how "involved" in the process half the people on my list get, so its not really something I weigh in much.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »
I will say that this is a certain rhythm to the direction and editing in Clerks and Chasing Amy that make those films very "Kevin Smith" even without the writing.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
Maybe Kevin Smith's lack of direction could be considered a stylistic choice. Would Clerks have been Clerks if it had long pans and epic crane shots or extreme close-ups or whatever?

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
lol. i think the movie cost less than a crane shot.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
It is like teacher evaluation. Ideally I would have test results before and after they had a class and I could see their value added to the students (and whatever other control measures necessary). I could sort out whether a bad teacher just had a great class that learned in spite of the teacher or whether they had a normal class that benefitted greatly from a good teacher. But with film I don't have that information. I can intuit based on other people's reports, but by and large I don't have the information necessary to break apart film quality from director quality. Maybe I can know that Kevin Smith should be knocked down but there are others on the list who probably should as well but I don't know that they should. I expect M Night is the opposite to some degree. He's a much better director who is held back by M Night the writer.

I don't agree with this as you can separate film quality from the quality of the director simply by watching movies and paying attention to what the director does in his/her various films.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »
I'm really pleased that Agnes Varda made the last list, but really people, this woman is top 5 material. If you haven't seen any of her films, or only one or two, now is the time to get on it. Daguerreotypes is brilliant, The Gleaners and I is wonderful, and Jacquot de Nantes is probably the most loving tribute one filmmaker has ever made for another.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »
I'm really pleased that Agnes Varda made the last list, but really people, this woman is top 5 material. If you haven't seen any of her films, or only one or two, now is the time to get on it. Daguerreotypes is brilliant, The Gleaners and I is wonderful, and Jacquot de Nantes is probably the most loving tribute one filmmaker has ever made for another.
Twenty-four Agnes Varda films, seven of which aren't available on DVD anywhere (and unavailable on VHS in the U.S.) as far as I know, are available to legally watch here.  

I highly recommend those three that FCM mentioned especially the latter two (the last is in my top 100).  Also, highly recommended are Cleo from 5 to 7 (top 100); The Beaches of Agnes (top 100 contender); Vagabond; and Ydessa, the Bears, and Etc. (now on DVD as part of the short films triptych Cinevardaphoto).  Not as highly as the aforementioned films, but recommended: Le bonheur; La pointe-courte; and The Universe of Jacques Demy (not to be mistaken with the great Jacquot de Nantes).  I'm slacking with her other films since I know I have until May to watch them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:59:52 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »
Twenty-four Agnes Varda films, seven of which aren't available on DVD anywhere (and unavailable on VHS in the U.S.) as far as I know, are available to legally watch here.  

I highly recommend those three that FCM mentioned especially the latter two (the last is in my top 100).  Also, highly recommended are Cleo from 5 to 7 (top 100); The Beaches of Agnes (top 100 contender); Vagabond; and Ydessa, the Bears, and Etc. (now on DVD as part of the short films triptych Cinevardaphoto).  Not as highly as the aforementioned films, but recommended: Le bonheur; La pointe-courte; and The Universe of Jacques Demy (not to be mistaken with the great Jacquot de Nantes).  I'm slacking with her other films since I know I have until May to watch them.

That's a great advertisement. I haven't seen anything from Varda but this website looks inviting.  :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love