Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 53614 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »
That list is a bizarro mix of my opinions and the exact opposite of my opinions.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »
Mission Accomplished.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
Evil twin indeed!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
Interesting list, roujin.  I love that you have Hartley on there.

Is it that you haven't seen Ball of Fire, Hatari!, The Thing from Another World, Twentieth Century, Air Force, I Can't Sleep, and Chocolat or you didn't like them/vibe with them?  No Fear, No Die is very good but access is an issue.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 08:25:17 AM »
Glad to see your Hawks list excluded The Big Sleep, for which I have developed an irrational dislike (source material overpowering anyone's ability to make a comprehensible movie of it).

Also still not many top 100 lists posted so I am proud that, not only did I get to 100 directors, but I could apply a three good film minimum to each director. One or two good films doesn't really make a director good does it? I posted my list very early on so I need to go back and re-order based on more recent viewings. For instance I now have passed the three good films minimum for JP Melville (LCRouge, Le Samourai and Army of Shadows) so I can get him on the list. That applies to Mallick as well. I really need to go back and re-organise.
Has John Cameron Mitchell made a third film outside of Shortbus and Hedwig because I would love to get him on the list. I love those two films.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:34:13 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
Interesting list, roujin.  I love that you have Hartley on there.

Is it that you haven't seen Ball of Fire, Hatari!, The Thing from Another World, Twentieth Century, Air Force, I Can't Sleep, and Chocolat or you didn't like them/vibe with them?  No Fear, No Die is very good but access is an issue.

Just haven't seen them. That's another reason as to why Ford/Hawks are so high. I still have so many potentially awesome films from them left to see.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 08:45:14 AM »
Has John Cameron Mitchell made a third film outside of Shortbus and Hedwig because I would love to get him on the list. I love those two films.

His third film Rabbit Hole is making the festival rounds right now. Not sure when it will get any kind of theatrical release. I put him in my top ten with just the two. The one critical reaction from Toronto for Rabbit Hole was kind of insanely good.

FWIW, I only have 50 directors on my list because we can only submit a ballot of 50. I have another 10-20 I could easily throw on and be happy with.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »
Interesting list, roujin.  I love that you have Hartley on there.

Is it that you haven't seen Ball of Fire, Hatari!, The Thing from Another World, Twentieth Century, Air Force, I Can't Sleep, and Chocolat or you didn't like them/vibe with them?  No Fear, No Die is very good but access is an issue.

Just haven't seen them. That's another reason as to why Ford/Hawks are so high. I still have so many potentially awesome films from them left to see.

Oh, I'm quite excited to see your future reviews of Ball of Fire, Twentieth Century, Hatari!, and Air Force in particular.  Babs is so awesome in Fire.  I'm glad I revisited it a few weeks ago for the performances list because while watching it I was overcome by a remembrance of how happy I felt one winter break when I did a Hawks retrospective.  Pretty sure another Hawks retro will be be going down before the deadline for the directors list.  I'm not sure if Twentieth Century has been talked about a little on the boards; it's a little like His Girl Friday in terms of speedy dialogue delivery.  Air Force and Hatari! were two films I wasn't expecting to dig as much as I do.  I remember you being quite taken by Garfield in Body and Soul, and I think he's great and, if I'm not misremembering, less mannered by today's acting standards in Air Force.  

Have you read Robin Wood's Hawks monograph?  How about Fujiwara's Jerry Lewis?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:45:53 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »
I own Fujiwara's book, but haven't taken the time to go through it. I wish he had split it into film-by-film analysis so I could watch along, but instead it's divided into chapters detailing different aspects of his work (one will be about sound, another about space). I did read the interview at the back of the book though. It's great.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »
I'm not sure if Twentieth Century has been talked about a little on the boards;

I pimped it a lot when I watched it a year or so ago, wrote a review of it as well, much prefer it to the other Hawks comedies I've seen, like War Bride, Blondes, and the only non-good Hawks comedy I've seen, Bringing Up Baby.

love