Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 29457 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »

50. Steven Spielberg - About as high as I would put him.

49. Ridley Scott - Ditto.

48. Guillermo Del Toro - A future master, already a couple of greats under his belt.

47. Francis Ford Coppola - Faded glory, but can't argue with classics.

46. Billy Wilder - One of my favorite, need to see more.

45. Quentin Tarantino - Again, about as high as I would put him, good but a tad overrated.

44. Robert Altman - Need to see more.

43. Joss Whedon  ???

42. Ingmar Bergman - Yes!  Needs to be on all lists.

41. Michael Mann - Meh

40. Henry Selick -  ???

39. Paul Greengrass - Sigh, really?

38. Sidney Lumet - Win, I love this guy, very underappreciated.

37. Andrew Stanton -  ???

36. James Cameron - Often dismissed, but made some of the best blockbusters ever.

35. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu -  ???

34. Andrew Dominik -  ???

33. Terry Gilliam - Nice, always glad to see Terry on a list.

32. Alfred Hitchcock - About as high as he should go.

31. Jim Sheridan -  ???

30. Rob Reiner -  ???

29. Edgar Wright - Made two great films, need to see more though.

28. Francois Truffaut - Successfully avoided him thus far.

27. Charlie Chaplin - Epic win.  Many people forget ole Charlie, still one of the best actor/directors ever.

26. Banksy - I don't know, based on just one (great) film?

25. Jim Jarmusch - Need to see.

24. Apichatpong Weerasethakul -  ??? funny name

23. Duncan Jones -  ???

22. Sylvain Chomet -  ???

21. Wong Kar Wai - Awesome, plan to see Happy Together before finalizing list.

20. Gus Van Sant - Big win, huge fan of the guy even though he never topped Drugstore and Idaho.

19. David Fincher - Two very good early films, needs to make more.

18. Christopher Nolan - Sigh, the I will buy a lollipop to the first person who makes a full list without Woody, Malick, or this guy.

17. Steve Mcqueen -  ???

16. Terrence Malick - Yeah, you ain't getting the lollipop.

15. Pedro Almodovar - Lots of good films, still waiting for a masterpiece.

14. Akira Kurosawa - Win, should be in top 10.

13. Stanley Kubrick - Ditto

12. Kathryn Bigelow - Hmmm, haven't really seen anything beside Hurt Locker, surprised to see so high.

11. Danny Boyle - Yeah he is consistently great.

10. John  Hughes - Need to see more.

9. Joel & Ethan Coen - Can't argue with those.

8. Martin Scorsese - Used to be great.

7. Rian Johnson -  ???

6. Paul Thomas Anderson - Kinda overrated around these parts.

5. Lynne Ramsay -  ???

4. Chris Marker -  ???

3. Sergio Leone - A master, wish he lived longer...

2. Spike Jonze - I dunno, I think most of his greatness comes from his writer.

1. Hayao Miyazaki - A perfect way to end a list.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »

12. Kathryn Bigelow

5. Lynne Ramsay
Yay! Ladies!

4. Chris Marker
Yay! Marker! Won't be this high on my list, but he'll definitely make an appearance. Can't wait to see more, especially Description of a Struggle. I like his photographic work as well. I prefer him significantly to Raymond Depardon, who works in kinda similar spheres, judging by the little of what I've seen.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »
Nice list 'Noke. A few of those seem a bit premature, but they don't bother me too much.

Banksy and McQueen after 1 film?

People don't need to be established to be awesome. Plus, it was either that or I would have to start adding Eastwood or Polanski.

Problem is I don't usually watch one movie by a director then try and watch as mnay as I can by the same director. It's usually just a matter of trying to see something by every director at the moment. Or something.

Nicely compiled list, 'Noke. MANN!  8) HAWKS!  :'( BORZAGE!  :'(

You know, like these second two?

Although I do have Three comrades on my computer, I'll watch it at some point.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »
Nice list 'Noke. A few of those seem a bit premature, but they don't bother me too much.

People don't need to be established to be awesome. Plus, it was either that or I would have to start adding Eastwood or Polanski.

Problem is I don't usually watch one movie by a director then try and watch as mnay as I can by the same director. It's usually just a matter of trying to see something by every director at the moment. Or something.
Yeah, don't feel bad. I'm likely to follow suit. If they're good, they're good. You don't need 25 films as evidence.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »

Yeah, don't feel bad. I'm likely to follow suit. If they're good, they're good. You don't need 25 films as evidence.

I don't know, I feel like at least watching two or three is necessary to judge a director. If one film was enough I might have people like Joel Schumacher after seeing Falling Down.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »
I don't know, I feel like at least watching two or three is necessary to judge a director. If one film was enough I might have people like Joel Schumacher after seeing Falling Down.

I feel like you can credit people continued success until they prove otherwise. There's a difference between a director who has only made one film and it is incredible and a director who has made ten films of which you've seen one, that is incredible. At least in the case of my list, the vast majority of the directors I included with three or fewer films seen were directors who had made three or fewer films.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »
Thanks for the Bergmann list MT I will keep it on my switchboard. I think I need to clear the boards so I can give his films their own time and space, and really get into his style.

Z, the only list that won't have Nolan or Malick or Allen on will be yours it sounds like.

Why the trouble with making a top 100? If you take the view that a director is great after one film (I may not agree but opinion's will vary and all count) then listing 100 isn't that hard, though I accept the age argument means some won't have had the chance to see that many films, so I am not aiming this at you noke. surely Debra Granik should be on a few lists if the 1 good film applies. Winter's Bone IS that good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:29:12 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
I just want to point out that we are submitting ballots of 50 directors, not 100.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Cool list, 'N.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
I just want to point out that we are submitting ballots of 50 directors, not 100.
Change the name then. And WE aren't, you are

Pls post any suggestions here.

Here's what you need to do. PM me a ranked list of 50 directors by November 30th, 2010.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.