Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 29443 times)

dallegre

Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »
Just one woman mentioned?

Yes, I am gonna harp on this. No, my own list won't be much better (this year).

This occured to me as I was making my list, but honestly the only two women who were in serious contention were Sofia Coppola and Katheryn Bieglow, and I just frankly don't like either of them enough to put them on a top 50 list.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
Debra Granik is about the only current director I would consider putting on my list after one film. Winter's Bone is that good.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
Debra Granik is about the only current director I would consider putting on my list after one film. Winter's Bone is that good.

She'd be in consideration...need to see Down To The Bone first. Nicole Kassel would definitely be in contention if I'd seen more than just one film from her (she's only made one) as it is my #3 film of all time. That Martin McDonough also has an Oscar winning short helped get him in over either of them (albeit at #50).

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
When exactly are these lists due again?

dallegre

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
Pls post any suggestions here.

Here's what you need to do. PM me a ranked list of 50 directors by November 30th, 2010.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »
I don't necessarily want to push people to include women just because they're women. I could just as loudly make the same comments about queer directors, or black directors.

I harp on it because this is the environment to do it. This forum is not full of casual filmgoers. Everyone here is passionate about film, and keen to further explore what cinema is and discover greatness, and personally, I think the compiling of a top 100 directors of all time is the perfect time to say hold up, why aren't we watching more by female directors?

I'm just as guilty, let's be clear. I'm only gonna be able to have three or four on the list without resorting to tokenism, which I wouldn't. But I'm planning to do something about that soon. Complacency is only gonna see us continue to make lists of dead white men.

Personally, what gets me is that I love Agnes Varda. To spoil it, she's gonna be at the very top of my list. And yeah, it's only this year that I've really seen any of her films, but seeing her so largely ignored upsets me, because she's so clearly great. MT, I'm sure you feel the same way about Satyajit Ray around here (who I'll admit to only having seen one film by).

And it's not like women aren't doing good work. Varda is clearly doing phenomenal stuff. I think Denis is too, although I know she doesn't always work for everyone. Chantal Akerman is one I'd love to explore more by. Same with a whole host of others. And like I said, I could be just as up about queer directors. Where's Gregg Araki (who will make my list, but I totally understand why he won't make most)?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »
I'm sure the number of films I watch that are directed by women is proportional to the number of women directing films.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
I feel I have to look at this thread once a month just to remind myself which directors I need to be seeking out more from. It's one thing if I simply am not liking their films but another if I'm not even watching them.

I do feel like the fact that the names that are generally thrown around like Varda (who I need to try something from), Akerman, Denis (I hated 35 Shots of Rum), etc are mixtures non-contemporary and art-house. If there is one thing my list is, it is contemporary and relatively mainstream. Partly due to what I've been exposed to (that I try to broaden every month) and part is my film preferences. There isn't a lot to choose from in terms of mainstream female directors with expansive filmographies. Bigelow is one of the more notable examples (and then some of the Nancy Meyers, Nora Ephron ilk).

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
I'm sure the number of films I watch that are directed by women is proportional to the number of women directing films.

Exactly.  I doubt anyone here is specifically avoiding women directors.  They're just aren't that many of them.  

FCM: Not everyone is as passionate about Varda as you, deal with it.  Like you said, you only discovered her this year so you shouldn't really get all pissy about everyone else not worshipping her.  You've got the fanaticism of a recent convert... but I've been guilty of that too sometimes, so I understand. But no, I don't get upset when people haven't seen much Satyajit Ray (who I only discovered 7 years ago).  He's not a mainstream director and his films aren't easily obtained.  I do get upset that I can't get decent DVDs of his films and have to resort to cheap imports, though (c'mon Criterion....)

As for queer directors, I've got Tsai, Almodovar and Weerasethakul all in my top 25.

(oh, and from what I've seen, there are a handful of "casual filmgoers" on this forum.  I won't name names though :) )

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
I feel I have to look at this thread once a month just to remind myself which directors I need to be seeking out more from.

Oh man, I forgot that Niki Caro followed up the lovely Whale Rider with the godawful North Country.  This is another reason I don't have a lot of women in my top 100... so many of them seem to ruin their own careers.