Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 29432 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
North Country and not Whale Rider is the primary reason she made my list, though I did like both. To think I held off on North Country for so long because I was holding Monster against Charlize Theron.

(oh, and from what I've seen, there are a handful of "casual filmgoers" on this forum.  I won't name names though :) )

Is that "casual" filmgoer or "casual film" goer. Because one probably doesn't watch a lot of movies, the other may watch a lot of movies, just not pretentious crap :D

As to queer cinema...John Cameron Mitchell and Gus Van Sant are the two that jump out but then I don't know the sexual orientation of all the directors off the top of my head (my top 50 bands/artists list would be overrun by lesbians). Ethnic minority representation is a little trickier. I have plenty of non-white people, but they aren't minorities in the film industry that they are a product of.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:41:22 AM by Bondo »

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2010, 12:33:15 AM »
Exactly.  I doubt anyone here is specifically avoiding women directors.  They're just aren't that many of them.

In a theatrical distribution and/or mainstream studio financing context, you're correct.  But overall, there are lots of women making films that make the indie, festival, or arthouse circuits or are available on VHS or DVD (a lot are available on Netflix, for example).  Places like Women Make Movies make some festival / tv titles available for home purchase.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2010, 02:16:38 PM »
Some of us just watch movies to watch movies. I don't care or know whether the director is a man or a woman 98% of the time.

Senor Javi

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »
Some of us just watch movies to watch movies. I don't care or know whether the director is a man or a woman 98% of the time.

Exactly. I seek out movies that I think that I will enjoy, not to satisfy a novelty quota. If I see a movie by a female director it's because I was interested in the movie, not because of the gender of a production member. There will be no women directors on my list simply because there is no woman director that I have seen a sufficient number of films by of a high enough quality to be considered. Take Kelly Reichardt for example. She did Wendy and Lucy, which I think is a pretty extraordinary film, and if she did (and I saw) five films of Wendy and Lucy-quality, she would be high on my list. Unfortunately, she only has three features to her credit and the other two don't really interest me and neither was particularly warmly received.

Take Kathryn Bigelow as another example. I've seen two films by her - The Hurt Locker and Strange Days. Now, while I loved The Hurt Locker, I found Strange Days to be almost shockingly awful. Knowing that she has a good amount of credits, I look through her filmography and I can't say I'm particularly excited by Blue Steel or K-19: The Widowermaker. She would have to have several more Hurt Lockers up her sleeve (and no more Strange Days) for me to consider her.

Even moving into more acclaimed female directors, I'm not too thrilled at this point. The one woman that seems to have the best chance at cracking my list (according to the acclaim on this board) is Agnès Varda, and even she doesn't really get me going. The only film by her that I've seen is Cléo from 5 to 7 and I was rather unimpressed by it. Not that I thought it was bad, it was just OK. Looking through her filmography, the only two movies that I'm interested in irrespective of her being a woman are The Gleaners & I and Vagabond. Even if I really liked those movies she wouldn't make my list due to too much competition from old dead white guys (whom I enjoy for reasons that have nothing to do with them being old, dead, white, and/or guys). The Gleaners & I and Vagabond could potentially capture my imagination and make me want to see more Varda films, but if they are only as good as Cléo from 5 to 7, that won't happen.  :-\

Incidentally, the whole thing is absurd. The female factor doesn't (or shouldn't) count for more than the "gay" factor or the "black" factor or any other novelty factor that should have nothing to do with why anyone watches anything. It is a pretty funny thought that much of the flake in this thread (and around the board) is about the lack of female representation and not something altogether different, because it shouldn't count for more than anything else. Someone could make the case that the concentration on female directors is distracting from the "real" issue of the underepresentation of Indian or Czechoslovakian or Hungarian cinema and filmmakers. How many people are skipping over Marketa Lazarová so that they can see Whip It and what does it matter?
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
How many people are skipping over Marketa Lazarová so that they can see Whip It and what does it matter?

I've seen Marketa, but not Whip It.   ;D

Senor Javi

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
How many people are skipping over Marketa Lazarová so that they can see Whip It and what does it matter?

I've seen Marketa, but not Whip It.   ;D

Sexist.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
I don't know what this Marketa Lazarova is, but Whip It is solid entertainment.

Senor Javi

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
I don't know what this Marketa Lazarova is, but Whip It is solid entertainment.

Racist.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
For those who watch a lot of films, I think that we should be seeking out more female directors.  That doesn't mean we have to like them, or they should be on our top 100 lists because they are female.  But because women haven't been given as much opportunity as men to be directors, it would be helpful if we seek out female directors just to do our part in changing the system in order to give more female directors a shot. 

Around the forum here, most of us watch films we may not be interested in just to try out something someone else appreciate.  If we all tried out female directors, just to give them a shot, then that would increase their audience and the powers that be will perhaps give other, newer female directors a chance.

By the way, Javi, you should check out Bigalow's Point Break.  Almost as good as Hurt Locker, not quite.

And last night I saw Winter's Bone.  Everyone should be checking that out.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
Point Break is waaaaay better than Hurt Locker. Does Hurt Locker have Nixon moon people? Does it have Keanu Reeves? I rest my case.

I'll be checking out at least one female director soon. If not by the end of the year, then definitely sometime in the spring.