love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 53606 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »
Near Dark is waaaaay better than Point Break.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »
Back off, Warchild.

Senor Javi

« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
But because women haven't been given as much opportunity as men to be directors, it would be helpful if we seek out female directors just to do our part in changing the system in order to give more female directors a shot. 

Around the forum here, most of us watch films we may not be interested in just to try out something someone else appreciate.  If we all tried out female directors, just to give them a shot, then that would increase their audience and the powers that be will perhaps give other, newer female directors a chance.

Eh, just because there aren't a lot of female film directors it doesn't mean that they aren't being given shots. I went to two film schools and there were very few women in the programs (like 90% men to 10% women) and none of the ones I met wanted to be directors. Most wanted to be producers or editors and this is reflected in the "real" world with a good number of professional female producers and editors and not directors. Furthermore, many women who are directors are in television and not film, maybe because they like the relative stability or something. Too many people assume some nefarious institutionalized plot when really interest is the problem. It's similar to how not many women are engineers; despite recent pushes to recruit more women they don't seem to have the interest for whatever reason.

And last night I saw Winter's Bone.  Everyone should be checking that out.

I saw it and didn't like it. There's been this whole big rash of poverty movies lately with Winter's Bone, Shotgun Stories, Ballast, Chop Shop, Wendy and Lucy, and Frozen River just to name a very few and I found Winter's Bone to be a very generic version of the genre at large. Nothing about it's tone or characterization made it stand out at all and it just seemed like a duller and more clichéd version of the films coming out recently plus one good scene (that is fairly stupid when you think about it).

I think with the auteurist inclination here, very few of us here mostly watch a movie just to watch a movie in that who directed the film doesn't matter.

It's not that the director doesn't matter, it's that the director doesn't matter until the director gives me a reason why they should matter. I won't see Movie X by Woman Y (for that reason alone) unless Woman Y has given me a reason to care that she made Movie X. Take the movie Moon for example. Moon was directed by Duncan Jones, which meant nothing to me before I saw the film because it was his first credit. I saw the movie because it was well reviewed, not because Duncan Jones directed it. But now having seen Moon, the name Duncan Jones means something to me. I liked the film so much that I will see his next film based on the fact that he is directing it. Conversely, take Sean McNamara - the auteur behind Bratz: The Movie and The Even Stevens Movie. McMamara doesn't have the same good will with me that Duncan Jones does because both McNamara movies I named are terrible. Therefore when I see "Directed by Sean McNamara," I'm not going to have the same drive to see the movie that I will have when I see "Directed by Duncan Jones." So any female director, in order to matter to me, will have to do the same thing that any male director must do to get me to care - make good movies. If a female director makes an Bratz-quality film, I won't be inclined to see her further films. However, if she makes a Moon-quality film, I will be inclined to see further films. It's really that simple.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
I think with the auteurist inclination here, very few of us here mostly watch a movie just to watch a movie in that who directed the film doesn't matter.

It's not that the director doesn't matter, it's that the director doesn't matter until the director gives me a reason why they should matter.

No disagreement from me.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
After attempting to compile a list of my favorite directors I have come to the conclusion that my knowledge and experience does not run deep enough for me to compile and submit a list for this top 100. That being said, my plan is to marathon the list that is developed by this project and come back next year ready to go.

I will make a few suggestions that missed the list last time however: Joe Wright, David Gordon Green, Cameron Crowe, Rob Reiner and John Hughes. Just a few FYC's. Excited to see the list!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Senor Javi

« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
Rob Reiner will make my list.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
...and Ichikawa my list, thanks for recommend Teller.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
...and Ichikawa my list, thanks for recommend Teller.

Nice! :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
After attempting to compile a list of my favorite directors I have come to the conclusion that my knowledge and experience does not run deep enough for me to compile and submit a list for this top 100. That being said, my plan is to marathon the list that is developed by this project and come back next year ready to go.

I will make a few suggestions that missed the list last time however: Joe Wright, David Gordon Green, Cameron Crowe, Rob Reiner and John Hughes. Just a few FYC's. Excited to see the list!

All input is worth while, you should consider at least putting in a top 10.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that my knowledge and experience does not run deep enough for me to compile and submit a list for this top 100.

That's never stopped me. ;D I'm planning on marathoning those on my ballot who I'm presently basing on only a couple films so they can either be more firmly enmeshed or else evicted.

love