love

Author Topic: What movie(s) ignited your passion for film?  (Read 7240 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: What movie(s) ignited your passion for film?
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 11:01:17 PM »
I just haven't liked his last two films, or his Fridge in Indy.

People love to blame Lucas for that, and everyone longs for the original Darabont script. I wish more people realized that a lot of the most hated elements of Indy 4 were right there in Darabont's script.

I read a script that claimed to be the Darabont script. It was atrocious.

Yeah. The Darabont script leaked at some point after Indy 4 came out, and it was confirmed to be real by people who had read it back in the day. It's bad. It's basically the same movie but longer and worse.

I just remember a scene in which Indy, after believing he's conquered his fear of snakes, gets swallowed by some sort of giant mutant snake (anaconda maybe?), which of course makes him fearful of snakes yet again. What a load of shite.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I just haven't liked his last two films, or his Fridge in Indy.

People love to blame Lucas for that, and everyone longs for the original Darabont script. I wish more people realized that a lot of the most hated elements of Indy 4 were right there in Darabont's script.

I read a script that claimed to be the Darabont script. It was atrocious.

Yeah. The Darabont script leaked at some point after Indy 4 came out, and it was confirmed to be real by people who had read it back in the day. It's bad. It's basically the same movie but longer and worse.

I just remember a scene in which Indy, after believing he's conquered his fear of snakes, gets swallowed by some sort of giant mutant snake (anaconda maybe?), which of course makes him fearful of snakes yet again. What a load of shite.

Yeah. That was bad. There's also the scene where Marion is flying a plane and Indy is hanging off the landing gear.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »
Well maybe Darabont should stick to Stephen King.  :P The Mist is still my favorite film of his though.

Worse things about Indy 4 were: CGI ants, CGI swinging in the forest, Aliens.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
The movie that made movies come on the radar-- the original Star Wars.  I'm just that age.  It was the summer between my seventh and eighth grades that it came out, and I and everyone I knew became a cinephile at that point.  But it was all about blockbusters, then.  Star Wars, then Close Encounters, then Indy, etc.  And if a movie was to get on our radar screen, it had to look like a blockbuster.  It had to be a cultural event, not just a movie.

But the first film that really made me realize how all films communicate, not just the big ones was Being There.  I'd seen Peter Sellers do his usual slapstick routine and his multiple personality deal, but this movie was subtle and quiet and funny, but not in a laugh out loud way.  I understood the political satire and the funny sadness that made Chauncey such a great character. 

So I think that it was when I saw this film, two years after Star Wars, that I realized what the power of film was.  Not just an entertainment, but a force that can change minds, and so change lives.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 05:15:11 AM »
Saw Star Wars 3 times when it came out, but I have never seen Being There.

Saw Harold & Maude last week so I am chasing down BT right now, so I am only 30 years behind (30 years, jeez I feel queasy)
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Lola

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 06:56:09 AM »
Not a movie but an aussie icon Bill Collins midday classic movies
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
~ Shakespeare from the play As You Like it (1623)

Adrienne

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »
The Great Escape, when SM tried to get over the wire on his bike.

I was upset to find out later it was a stunt double...

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

I think he wanted to do it or something but the director didn't want him to die. He does all the other stunts in the film.

Adrienne

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

I think he wanted to do it or something but the director didn't want him to die. He does all the other stunts in the film.

Then he is forgiven

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
That one film with all the wheat. Watched it again tonight and I see myself falling for film all over again in the next few weeks.

love