love

Author Topic: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 79663 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: The 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Histoire(s) du cinema, which I'll again be the only person voting for

I'm working up to it by watching more Godard films (think the only 80's Godard I have left is King Lear - starring Molly Ringwald!)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
I've got a few films that need revisiting before deciding where they should place on the top 100 (if anywhere). All of them have only received one viewing so far:

-The Fly
-JFK
-Indecent Proposal (What can I say, it made a big impression on me when I watched it four years ago. This and Unfaithful. I found both incredibly disturbing.  :-\)
-Lars and the Real Girl
-The Prestige

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
The first and last are probably on my list.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 02:06:45 PM »
I've got a few films that need revisiting before deciding where they should place on the top 100 (if anywhere). All of them have only received one viewing so far:

-The Fly
-JFK
-Indecent Proposal (What can I say, it made a big impression on me when I watched it four years ago. This and Unfaithful. I found both incredibly disturbing.  :-\)
-Lars and the Real Girl
-The Prestige

Salient point. I would feel uncomfortable about giving too much value to any film I have only seen once. The best films can take multi-viewings at different times. Best example, Big Lebowski, I discovered this was the perfect hangover movie, early one Sunday morning! Plenty of inappropriately early drinking in that.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
Close to 25% of the films on my top-100 are ones I've only seen once. Thing is, many of them are things I watched more recently but aren't new films. This is the difficulty. Whether it is The Apartment or Spring Summer Fall..., I think it is important to give it time before revisiting it, but I also don't want to leave it off just because I've only seen it once. Some of the stuff I've seen a bit further back have other things. Metropolis, for example, I will be rewatching once I can see the new recovered version.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
Sometimes it only takes me one viewing to know a film is one of my favorites. There are some films that I walk away with such an unexplainable feeling that I don't want to ruin that feeling by revisiting the film.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
Keith is right, Grindhouse is 3 films.  Last year votes for Grindhouse, Death Proof and Planet Terror were all accepted.  Kill Bill, as last year, seperate movies.

As for movie series like LotR, Star Wars, etc etc, they'll obviously be counted as seperate movies.  Anything listed as a mini series or tv series on imdb will not be eligible, so please don't waste your votes on Decalog or The Wire.  The Red Riding trilogy, although made for TV, aren't listed as such on imdb and thus are eligible, but as seperate entities.

TV movies also eligible.

I think that clears up most of the issues?

Then, I guess, I will send in a new ballot because it discounts some on it. If this is acceptable?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »
I don't know why I thought it was in December.  Oh well, I just won't be ready.  I've got my super-marathon going, and I won't feel comfortable posting my top 100 until I'm done with it.  At least that gives me plenty of time before next year! :-)

You are going to send in a ballot at least though, correct?

I wasn't planning on it.  The list last year was tough and just a guess.  This year I'm being more consistent, but won't be done in time.  So a list by Sept would be half-assed.  Not a real list, in my opinion.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
I don't know why I thought it was in December.  Oh well, I just won't be ready.  I've got my super-marathon going, and I won't feel comfortable posting my top 100 until I'm done with it.  At least that gives me plenty of time before next year! :-)

You are going to send in a ballot at least though, correct?

I wasn't planning on it.  The list last year was tough and just a guess.  This year I'm being more consistent, but won't be done in time.  So a list by Sept would be half-assed.  Not a real list, in my opinion.

You people and your contemplation of things ;) I work from the gut.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
Keith is right, Grindhouse is 3 films.  Last year votes for Grindhouse, Death Proof and Planet Terror were all accepted.  Kill Bill, as last year, seperate movies.

As for movie series like LotR, Star Wars, etc etc, they'll obviously be counted as seperate movies.  Anything listed as a mini series or tv series on imdb will not be eligible, so please don't waste your votes on Decalog or The Wire.  The Red Riding trilogy, although made for TV, aren't listed as such on imdb and thus are eligible, but as seperate entities.

TV movies also eligible.

I think that clears up most of the issues?

Then, I guess, I will send in a new ballot because it discounts some on it. If this is acceptable?

Absolutely, most of the ballots don't get counted until the deadline passes anyway.