Author Topic: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 79659 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #570 on: September 21, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
Ripper list, probably better than last year. The Godfather also got 315 points last year!

Most happy about Once Upon a Time in the West's leap to #3, Inglourious Basterds' opening and no Star Wars.

31 from my list made it and I haven't seen 23. Of those 23 I most want to see The Double Life of Veronique, Le Samourai and Ikiru.

P.S. Love my quote for Fargo. I can vividly remember my excitement while typing that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:57:07 AM by chardy999 »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #571 on: September 21, 2010, 08:15:13 AM »
However, since coming on the forum if there has been a positive consensus behind a film or director that group buzz has 'generally' been matched by a great movie (M, Aguirre, Red Shoes are good examples).

In truth I don't think anyone seriously proposed a binding rule, more a rule of thumb that it be the spirit of filmspotting to be well watched among the group consensus lists. I for one plan on doing so if only because I'm an obsessive list completer, even though I'm sure to detest a decent number of the films. Group buzz is no antidote to Bondo...as yet I'm not contagious though ;D.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #572 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
It's not like I haven't taken a good half of those films out from the library with the full intention of watching them at some point in the following week. But there has to be some kind of strange allignment to make me actually watch the film in question. Which is why I still have those four movies unwatched.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #573 on: September 21, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
I bet you'd like almost everyone of those 38 movies.  A Borzage man knows what's what.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #574 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
I know it. It just don't enact it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #575 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
Ripper list, probably better than last year. The Godfather also got 315 points last year!

Most happy about Once Upon a Time in the West's leap to #3, Inglourious Basterds' opening and no Star Wars.

31 from my list made it and I haven't seen 23. Of those 23 I most want to see The Double Life of Veronique, Le Samourai and Ikiru.

P.S. Love my quote for Fargo. I can vividly remember my excitement while typing that.

The same with my quote about The Double Life.  I can't remember being so joyous about a film.    BTW, Chardy, I think you will love it.  

Also, I have been trying to watch the top Filmspotting films.  This is not because I am interested in all of them (I had no interest in 8 1/2, which I loved, and I still have no interest in Goodfellas, which I will eventually see).  I see them because even if I don't like them, they give me a basic film standard to compare other films to.  Even though I didn't really care for Jules et Jim, it helps me understand other films, and so gives me more appreciation of them.  This is more than saying, "This film borrowed from this one".  It is saying that this recent film is using a similar style and it is either better or worse, or I like that this scene of this film is trying to give a feel of this film of the past.  Or, if nothing else, it allows me to continue playing the "Name A Better Movie" thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:11:27 PM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #576 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
Hum, what did I feel when I wrote each of my quotes?

Miller's Crossing:
What a film. It's got a chance to be my favorite Coen Bros. film. It's this subtle mashup of film noir and gangster and I loved how it worked.
Floaty, like that silly hat blowing in the wind.

Sunrise: A Song a Two Humans:
Great characters, great actors, great story and great laughs. It's rare that I truly care for the characters in the film but this was a rare case where I was on the edge of my seat for the last ten minutes.
Like the world's biggest sap for crying so damn much. Pretty much feel that way after every viewing but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Days of Heaven:
If a perfect film exists, this is it.
Objectivly awesome.  8)

Pulp Fiction:
the dialogue is well written, the performances fantastic and the narrative compelling. Easily one of the best films of the 90's
Like a $5 milkshake.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #577 on: September 22, 2010, 04:15:36 AM »

The same with my quote about The Double Life.  I can't remember being so joyous about a film.    BTW, Chardy, I think you will love it.  

Also, I have been trying to watch the top Filmspotting films.  This is not because I am interested in all of them (I had no interest in 8 1/2, which I loved, and I still have no interest in Goodfellas, which I will eventually see).  I see them because even if I don't like them, they give me a basic film standard to compare other films to.  Even though I didn't really care for Jules et Jim, it helps me understand other films, and so gives me more appreciation of them.  This is more than saying, "This film borrowed from this one".  It is saying that this recent film is using a similar style and it is either better or worse, or I like that this scene of this film is trying to give a feel of this film of the past.  Or, if nothing else, it allows me to continue playing the "Name A Better Movie" thread.  ;)

Yeah I will get to all of them in time. Some are priorities while others aren't but overall I will have a bias to crossing these 23 off ahead of other good films.

And yes, I have big hopes for The Double Life seeing I've really liked to loved the five Kieslowski I've seen so far. Your kind words amplify my eager anticipation! :D
- Groucho Marx

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #578 on: September 23, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
This is how the top 100 translates into placings per director;

Hitchcock      4   
   Coens      4   
   Wilder      3   
   Tarantino      3   
   PTA      3   
   Miyazaki      3   
   Kurosawa      3   
   Kubrick      3   
   Coppola      3   
   Welles      2   
   Wong Kar Wai      2   
   Spielberg      2   
   Scott      2   
   Scorcese      2   
   Reiner      2   
   Lumet      2   
   Leone      2   
   Kieslowski      2   
   Herzog      2   
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #579 on: September 24, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
This is how the top 100 translates into placings per director;

Kieslowski      2   

I count 3. Double Life, Red and Blue.
- Groucho Marx

love