Author Topic: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 79613 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: The 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments thread
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
I hear you. At some point, I'm just going to have to give up and tell myself, "There's always next year to improve/revise the list." And that is a comfort. :)  I'm actually really happy with a number of the new titles I'll be adding to my list this year - I think it'll be a better list than last year!

Did you catch up with more 60s British films?
Some, yes; a lot I need to see still, and there are some you suggested I need to get a hold of still. But off the top of my head, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Peeping Tom will be new to and on my list, for sure. Maybe Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, too.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »
I've been cramming quite a bit lately, but still feel like I need to see a few more.  I don't know where I am going to fit them because there are so many films on my Top 100 that I'm almost convinced I have to include so I keep fighting them and then I find something that I don't want to fight for as strongly even if it's higher and that gets bumped.

It's really quite frustrating.
I hear you. At some point, I'm just going to have to give up and tell myself, "There's always next year to improve/revise the list." And that is a comfort. :)  I'm actually really happy with a number of the new titles I'll be adding to my list this year - I think it'll be a better list than last year!

This...I've got so many new films to add on the list that im not going to try and push to watch a lot more, i'm just going to watch movies as i usually do, although im gonna seek out more movies im ashamed i havent seen.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2010, 05:39:07 AM »
So what's the film StarCarly? You are keeping peeps in suspense.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
Some, yes; a lot I need to see still, and there are some you suggested I need to get a hold of still. But off the top of my head, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Peeping Tom will be new to and on my list, for sure. Maybe Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, too.

Nice!  I don't remember if you've caught up with Kiarostami's Close-Up yet.  Is Taste of Cherry making the cut?

Anyone out there like me with 20+ deletions from last year's personal list?
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »

I've probably got a turnover of 30-35 myself.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »

Nice!  I don't remember if you've caught up with Kiarostami's Close-Up yet.  Is Taste of Cherry making the cut?
Nope, haven't been able to see Close-Up yet, unfortunately. But I'm definitely considering Taste of Cherry, as a well as The Wind Will Carry Us and Tickets.

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »

Nope, haven't been able to see Close-Up yet, unfortunately. But I'm definitely considering Taste of Cherry, as a well as The Wind Will Carry Us and Tickets.

The Criterion DVD of Close-Up is great not just for the upgrade in transfer but for the bonus (on the same disc) film The Traveler which is in serious contention to make the cut. 

Hmmm, I don't know what you thought of Olmi's segment in Tickets but, if you have the time, you should check out I Fidanzati and Il Posto before the deadline  :)
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »

I haven't done the official count but it certainly feels to be in the 20ish range.

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »

I haven't done the official count but it certainly feels to be in the 20ish range.

It's likely that I'll hit the 30 range.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
If/when you post your list I'd love to see the the new additions highlighted, and also a list of which films dropped off.