love

Author Topic: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 79664 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »
Whoa, Before Sunrise beats Before Sunset this year! (Good job, everybody. ;) )

Also, cool to see In the Mood for Love move up.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100:Voting closes Sept 3rd 2010 at 23:59E
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »
Apparently Lost In Translation and Yi Yi are loved by those who like it...not in the top tier of BoD (which didn't weight base on list spot) but made it here over some that were top tier.

My Top Ten: 6
Rest of My List: 7
Liked Off List: 25
Disliked Off List: 12
Haven't Seen (listed): 10

98. Paris, Texas (51)
95. The Philadelphia Story (N/E)
94. Miller's Crossing (79)
92. Fitzcarraldo (N/E)
81. The Red Shoes (N/E)
71. Le Samourai (56)
68. In a Lonely Place (N/E)
64. The Double Life of Veronique (N/E)
63. Red (69)
55. High and Low (N/E)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »
Mark Kermode on Radio 5 just mentioned A Matter of Life & Death as one of his favourite films, which is very good taste for the bequiffed one.

The Powell/Pressburger marathon hopefully means more FSpotters will have seen it, maybe even this week, as they are following along.

If AMOLAD doesn't appear in this year's top 100 it might be because it isn't widely viewed. I would be surprised if that's the case next year. Are many people actually 'doing' the marathon? Anybody?
I just finished AMoLaD this morning and started in on a bit of A Canterbury Tale. I've finished watching everything else in Adam and Matty's line-up.

But what did you think? Are you reviewing?
Btw I peeked at FS website and it's Black Narcissus next now not A Matter. Out of sequence but not to worry.
I liked it a lot. I wish I had time to type up a full review - but I've got too many other things on my plate right now, unfortunately. I'm not sure that it will make my top 100 next year - I still like The Red Shoes and Peeping Tom more - but it still was really wonderful.

And yeah, I've been completely out of order, in terms of following along with Adam and Matty - I just wanted to try to get all the P&P films watched as quickly as I could before I start teaching (next week). I figure if I've watched the films recently, the order doesn't matter; I'll still be able to remember them well enough to follow Adam and Matty's discussion. :)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Aw, disappointed in the Taxi Driver drop, but happy about the Die Hard love.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
Aw, disappointed in the Taxi Driver drop, but happy about the Die Hard love.

I love the quote!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
Mark Kermode on Radio 5 just mentioned A Matter of Life & Death as one of his favourite films, which is very good taste for the bequiffed one.

The Powell/Pressburger marathon hopefully means more FSpotters will have seen it, maybe even this week, as they are following along.

If AMOLAD doesn't appear in this year's top 100 it might be because it isn't widely viewed. I would be surprised if that's the case next year. Are many people actually 'doing' the marathon? Anybody?

I made my list before watching the film but it might make it next year. Its my favorite out of the first three I've seen, although they're all great.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Oh nice! Thank you so much for all your work, Wilson!

Yes thanks a bunch Wilson.  This is a lot of fun!

I just watched the Magnolia and Yi Yi trailers in that thread.  They made me want to watch each one of those 3 hour films back-to-back this afternoon
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
I liked it [A Matter of Life and Death] a lot. I wish I had time to type up a full review - but I've got too many other things on my plate right now, unfortunately. I'm not sure that it will make my top 100 next year - I still like The Red Shoes and Peeping Tom more - but it still was really wonderful.

And yeah, I've been completely out of order, in terms of following along with Adam and Matty - I just wanted to try to get all the P&P films watched as quickly as I could before I start teaching (next week). I figure if I've watched the films recently, the order doesn't matter; I'll still be able to remember them well enough to follow Adam and Matty's discussion. :)

Woohoo! Good to hear you liked AMoLaD so much, oad! And I really think I shouldn't put off seeing Peeping Tom any longer.

As for the list:

I am very pleased about the placement of Totoro and Before Sunrise, I think Goodfellas, Wall-E and Fight Club should be lower or not on the list at all, and I really need to see more Kurosawa.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100:Voting closes Sept 3rd 2010 at 23:59E
« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
Why did The Matrix have to make this list? UGGGGGGGGGGH!

This is the worst thing you have said on this forum. :P

Anyway, I don't think Inception is making it. We must give it time to grow within their minds so that they think it will be their own idea to vote for Inception next year.
I have finally seen Inception and it will rank lower than The Matrix for me in next years Top 100, if it makes it. I need to seen it again before I could place it in my top 100.
If only we could perform inception and plant the idea in everyone that it should make it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:56:20 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
Die Hard (#41) >> Back to the Future (#88)  ;D

But I still love them both.

love