Author Topic: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments  (Read 79634 times)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
Re: 3rd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments
« Reply #530 on: September 19, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »

5. Singin' in the Rain (10)

noff I dont think there is a living human who would not like Singin in the Rain

except Armond White perhaps.....but then again he isn't human......so it doesn't apply.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #531 on: September 19, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »
Eternal Sunshine ranked very highly on a few best of decade polls.  I remember that critical reception was positive overall during its theatrical run, but nothing that indicated a best of decade or all time stature that was apparent in the critical buzz that accompanied No Country and There Will Be Blood.  It seems like Eternal's fanbase has grown a lot in the following years.  A revisit is happening soon.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #532 on: September 19, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
Eternal Sunshine is something I regarded highly after my first watch and had it top ten that year but rewatching it earlier this year I thought it was kind of meh. I think I need to go best two of three on it in case I was just in a foul mood.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #533 on: September 19, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
Eternal Sunshine is something I regarded highly after my first watch and had it top ten that year but rewatching it earlier this year I thought it was kind of meh. I think I need to go best two of three on it in case I was just in a foul mood.

I've seen The Science of Sleep (my current fave Gondry), Be Kind Rewind, Block Party, and Gondry's music video DVD at least 4 times each.  I'm really drawn to those, and I have no doubt that the appeal of easy viewing when it comes to Rewind, Party, and his music vids have a lot to do with it.  To me, Science is a small near-masterwork.  Have seen Eternal only twice with a couple of years gap in between viewings.  Odd that I don't think of Gondry as one of my favorite filmmakers.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
Well, I loved Rewind and loathed Science of Sleep so I'm still not sure what to make of Gondry in any broader context.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #535 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:32 PM »
Eternal Sunshine ranked very highly on a few best of decade polls.  I remember that critical reception was positive overall during its theatrical run, but nothing that indicated a best of decade or all time stature that was apparent in the critical buzz that accompanied No Country and There Will Be Blood.  It seems like Eternal's fanbase has grown a lot in the following years.  A revisit is happening soon.

I rewatched it last year.  It's OK.

It made #47 on my Best of the Decade list last year.  It did not make my all-time top 600 this year.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #536 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »

5. Singin' in the Rain (10)

noff I dont think there is a living human who would not like Singin in the Rain

except Armond White perhaps.....but then again he isn't human......so it doesn't apply.

FLY didn't like it.  Just saying.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »
Also, not that it would've bumped it to the big boy list, but Once got a little shortchanged.  There's a listing for Once with 46, and then Once (John Carney 2006) with 4.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #538 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »
Also, not that it would've bumped it to the big boy list, but Once got a little shortchanged.  There's a listing for Once with 46, and then Once (John Carney 2006) with 4.

I demand a revote ;D

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #539 on: September 19, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »

I demand a revote ;D

When I first noticed it, I went back to counting to see if it would make a huge difference... I was thinking Once was closer to 100 than it actually was.  Then I was bummed, but still found it worth mentioning.