Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35855 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »
My #1 movie of all time Woman in the Dunes (with sex scenes!)

Seriously? The sand would get everywhere. And when I say everywhere I mean everywhere.

Dude just go for it.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

flieger

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »

This will sound like a strange little plug, but I would recommend some people watch Nostalgia for the Countryside, a film that has easily climbed its way to the 3rd round of the Far East Bracket.

Uh, edgar, I hate to be the bearer of bad news:(

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
Three selections from my 2009 list

Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay, 1999)

There's been a lot of forum buzz about this film since last year. I feel that a campaign might actually get it on the list. Also, OAD and pix really like it too, and everybody likes them.

Gimme Shelter (David Maysles, Albert Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin, 1970)

This film really turns my crank. For further details see here.

Ted Baryluk's Grocery (John Paskievick & Mike Mirus, 1982)

There is no chance this film is going to crack the list. But it's really wonderful, short, and available here. So, just watch it.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay, 1999)
There's been a lot of forum buzz about this film since last year. I feel that a campaign might actually get it on the list. Also, OAD and pix really like it too, and everybody likes them.

I don't know, I'm still a bit iffy on pix :P

Seriously though, I'm not sure Ratcatcher would make my top 1000 (I liked it a bit but have seen a lot of movies)...but I'll put it on my list if everyone promises not to put Morvern Callar on their list. ;)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »
Please Please please vote for the works of Masaki Kobayashi:

Harakiri and The Human Condition specifically.

Also, keeping with the far east thing....The Bad Sleep Well is my second favorite Kurosawa, so check it out if you get the chance.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »
Please Please please vote for the works of Masaki Kobayashi:

Harakiri and The Human Condition specifically.

Also, keeping with the far east thing....The Bad Sleep Well is my second favorite Kurosawa, so check it out if you get the chance.

Beat me to it. I was seriously just looking my old screenshots for Harakiri. Absolutely amazing film.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
Here's the thing. There are many great Frank Borzage films but the ability to watch them is somewhat hampered. With the resources of Netflix and TCM available we (the enlightened ones) have decided that your (those unenlightened and not fulfilled) efforts would be best concentrated towards watching Lucky Star (which is available on Netflix) and is a lovely story about a young woman with bad morals and a young man injured in WWI and how their love overcomes all obstacles and The Mortal Storm, which will be on TCM on August 16th at 8pm and is a story about a young couple (the superamazingbestpersonever Margaret Sullavan and Jimmy Stewart) and their attempts to avoid the Nazis in Austria.

Here's a clip of The Mortal Storm to whet your appetites:

The Mortal Storm

And I'll let my evil twin convince you of Lucky Star's awesomeness:

Lucky Star Frank Borzage, 1929

Janet Gaynor is sublime in this film. It's not anything special, really, just her face. She just makes you feel the moments of happiness and the moments of sadness, and all she has to do is slightly alter her face. Something like that. She's this little dirty child at the beginning of the film and by the end she's this mature woman or something and the transformation and the moments of beauty (like when she just looks up with wonder at that one dress) really melted my heart. The film exists in this strange space where downtrodden individuals can see each other through broken windows and really, truly believe that they can love. It should not surprise then that the ending of the film is unbelievable. Love conquers logic and reality. You know what? CINECAST! logic and CINECAST! reality. Lucky Star is excellent.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:45 PM »
I'm always surprised at the number of people who haven't seen one of my all-time favorites- All That Jazz. A 1979 film written and directed by Bob Fosse and starring Roy Scheider in an incredible performance, it's one of the most brilliant stories about mortality that I've ever seen. Everyone I show it to usually re-evaluates their rankings of movies after they see it.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

flieger

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
Fosse's a great, great choreographer. As a director, eh, not so much. The Pajama Game will sneak into my Top 100 on the back of Fosse's work in that.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
All That Jazz is great. I've seen three Fosses and liked them all.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.