love

Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35923 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:37 PM »
I'm always surprised at the number of people who haven't seen one of my all-time favorites- All That Jazz. A 1979 film written and directed by Bob Fosse and starring Roy Scheider in an incredible performance, it's one of the most brilliant stories about mortality that I've ever seen. Everyone I show it to usually re-evaluates their rankings of movies after they see it.

it only has one vote in last years, in the middle of someones top 100. Im 99% sure that was my vote. Itll be on my list again.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »
Good to hear guys.

So I just spent the last couple of hours working on my list (I'm making it from scratch and haven't been keeping track of movies I see)... I've been using wikipedia.org, filmsite.org, and boxofficemojo.com and going year by year. I've started to realize that the films on my list have all had a significant emotional impact on me. In other words I've walked away from the film feelling so different that I just couldn't put it into words. Some are more personal choices of films that I just saw at the right time of my life. I'm at 110 films and I have to shave 10 off. I was born in 1990 so obviously a majority of the films I've been exposed to have come from 1990-present. It is always a struggle I'm sure for all of us to find the time to be able to sit down and hit up every classic that exists when you have new great stuff coming out monthly. On my list- 46 are from before 1990, 25 are from 1990-2000, and 39 are from 2000-2010. Damn this is tough but fun. I believe the earliest I have on my list is The General (1925) and the most recent being Inglourious Basterds (2009). I'm constantly revising as I go.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Mr C

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:39 AM »
I've always wondered why DARK DAYS never gets a mention anywhere: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235327/
Let's do some wholesome DVD spanking.

flieger

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 03:36:13 AM »
I've always wondered why DARK DAYS never gets a mention anywhere: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235327/

Sounds good. Persuade me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:11 AM »
1) That film about the sand and the sex. I am very intrigued I must say.

2) Matchpoint is absolutely BRUTAL. There are nicer buildings in London than that Gherkin thing not every shot has to have it in ( which after all is a rip off of a building near the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona). I think half those english actors were struggling not to laugh at what they were being asked to say. Speaking of Barca and Woody Allen, only one of his recent films is watchable and that is Vicki Christina B. Love the fact both la Cruz and Rebecca Hall blow (literally?) that imposter ScoJo off the map. VCB has a lot of merit but it's still sub-Pedro A as far as Spanish melodrama goes.

3) From my top 100 I want to put forward Midnight Run. Does anyone not like this film? De niro's last great performance and best comedy performance? The most profane film ever? In fact perhaps the more general point is how many comedies should be in people's top 100s. I would say 10% just for balance.
Oh dear just checked I have 12 out of 100. I must be more serious.
These are Midnight Run, Fish Called Wanda, Young Frankenstein, Princess Bride, Groundhog Day, Life of Brian, The Thin Man, Lebowski, Raising Arizona, the Apartment, Some Like It Hot, Dr Strangelove.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:33:33 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »
Everyone is straight to business with the recommedations, but can we stop to simply cheer that this list is upon us again!

:D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D :D ;D :D :D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D :D ;D ;D :D :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
crunklestink! just remembered by list is on a flash drive somewhere in Japan (hope someone has fun spying my yearly tax info btw).  need to recreate the spreadsheet.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a Bond film on the top 100? The trouble is choosing which one. Goldeneye would be my choice. I could watch the 11 min pre-opening credit sequence on an endless loop. And the moment the opening credit music kicks in is spine-tingling. Such fun. Top drawer cinema.

Tremors is also tremendously enjoyable. I suppose it's considered more of a cult flick, but really, I don't know anyone who didn't have a good time watching it. And talk about re-watch value! Is it not THE quintessential popcorn/monster movie?

How about it 'spotters?  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:22:53 AM by smirnoff »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
For the Pierce films I'd lean more toward TND - really need to give GE a rewatch.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a Bond film on the top 100? The trouble is choosing which one. Goldeneye would be my choice. I could watch the 11 min pre-opening credit sequence on an endless loop. And the moment the opening credit music kicks in is spine-tingling. Such fun. Top drawer cinema.

Tremors is also tremendously enjoyable. I suppose it's considered more of a cult flick, but really, I don't know anyone who didn't have a good time watching it. And talk about re-watch value! Is it not THE quintessential popcorn/monster movie?

How about it 'spotters?  :)

Seconded on Tremors I need to find space for it.
Goldfinger is already on my 100. Best car (had the car with ejector seat when I was young), best villain, best line,'No Mr Bond I expect you to die'.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy