Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 18508 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
I've always wondered why DARK DAYS never gets a mention anywhere: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235327/
Great film but I think the soundtrack makes the film seem better than it is, it would be pretty high in my top doc list though.
Not a film that stuck with me, though I dug it at the time.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
I want to echo Wilson's recommendation for In a Lonely Place
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »
Last year I was the only person that voted for one of my favorite films of the last decade, The Band's Visit. I dont know if it actually qualifys as a mumblecore, but I think mumblecore fans will really enjoy it. On RT it got 98% and the Golden Tomato for best foreign film. Give it a try.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
I seem to like mumblecore... and I've been meaning to see it anyways. Maybe I'll get too it soon.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Last year I was the only person that voted for one of my favorite films of the last decade, The Band's Visit. I dont know if it actually qualifys as a mumblecore, but I think mumblecore fans will really enjoy it. On RT it got 98% and the Golden Tomato for best foreign film. Give it a try.

Wondering if it's Mumblecore is applying that term way too broadly.

Anyway, I really like The Band's Visit.  Ronit Elkabetz is one of my favorite contemporary actresses, and she's wonderful in it.  You should see her in Late Marriage if you haven't seen it yet, jrod.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

íKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »

Wondering if it's Mumblecore is applying that term way too broadly.

Anyway, I really like The Band's Visit.  Ronit Elkabetz is one of my favorite contemporary actresses, and she's wonderful in it.  You should see her in Late Marriage if you haven't seen it yet, jrod.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider that mumblecore but its still pretty great, wonderfully comedic framing.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
Black Peter (Milos Forman, 1964)

A criminally overlooked adolescent/coming-of-age gem of a film which is also one of my two favorite Forman films.  If you like Show Me Love/F*cking Amal, The 400 Blows, Gregory's Girl, Il Posto (by my count only roujin and I have seen that gem; shame of you, folks, calling yourselves film lovers!), or Flirting, you need to give Forman's film a chance.  Whenever I watch it, it transports me to my teenage years.  It's also a funny film that puts a huge smile on my face.  The "Ahoy" sequence is one of the funniest I've ever seen.  The DVD subtitles are off or dropped on occasion, but not so much that watching the film is a ruined experience.  Might return with some screenshots of my own.  And who can turn down watching a film with a dancing sequence like this?:

I have five films that I'm considering for my second nominee.  I'd love to campaign for all five, but they would just get lost in the flood.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:43:59 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
I like Milos. Noted.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

I like both of these films a lot.

Mike Shutt

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth. It is an absolutely captivating mystery story with many, many twists and turns. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine give powerhouse performances and either of them should have won the Oscar that year (Yes, over Marlon Brando). Do not see the 2007 remake which ruins the original, but if you are able to track it down, see it. It will easily be in my top 10.
Editor at Reel Projection
Podcaster at No Excuses