Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35881 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Woahh. This thing again. It's been a year already?  :o

Hey, pix - I'm not on that there list of yours... unless you've seen everything I put?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
Hey, pix - I'm not on that there list of yours... unless you've seen everything I put?

I've only made it through the first half of the alphabet so far. The Mother and the Whore will likely show up in part two.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
Well, since I enjoy making lists and pretending that I will watch all the things on those lists, I went through the top 100 of everyone who is currently active on the board and jotted down the top film that they listed that I hadn't seen. I want to get through at least some (what an ambiguous quantity) before my ballot is due. (NB: ordered from A-Z of Filmspotters.)

I love this idea... especially the pretending to watch things part.

I'm going to cheat, though, and pick the first unseen film on the list that I'm actually anxious to watch.

faceboy: Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
FLYmeatwad: Perfect Blue
jdc: Shaolin Soccer
Melvil: Mindgame

To be continued...

pixote

1.  :)
2.  :)
3. Make sure to watch the right one. Not sure which is the right now, but flieger and roujin know, I think. That's why I haven't watched it yet, need to find the proper release.
4.  :)

Senor Javi

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »
I'd like to pimp Marty because that's my highest ranked film that won't make the list. It's a small little romance film that instead of being heavy-headed, forced, and obnoxiously dumb is subtle, engaging, and inspiring. It's sweet, painful, joyful, crushing, and everything the resembles the real life up and down, coming and going, do I or don't I nature of real relationships. Such a joy that it exists and so heartbreaking that it's so little seen.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth. It is an absolutely captivating mystery story with many, many twists and turns. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine give powerhouse performances and either of them should have won the Oscar that year (Yes, over Marlon Brando). Do not see the 2007 remake which ruins the original, but if you are able to track it down, see it. It will easily be in my top 10.
It's the only film in my IMDb marathon I'm having trouble tracking down. Any suggestions as to where it can (legally) be obtained?

I got my copy from eBay. You have to buy it, but it is worth it.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »
Well, since I enjoy making lists and pretending that I will watch all the things on those lists, I went through the top 100 of everyone who is currently active on the board and jotted down the top film that they listed that I hadn't seen. I want to get through at least some (what an ambiguous quantity) before my ballot is due. (NB: ordered from A-Z of Filmspotters.)

I love this idea... especially the pretending to watch things part.

I'm going to cheat, though, and pick the first unseen film on the list that I'm actually anxious to watch.

Basil: Blue Velvet
Bill Thompson: My Neighbor Totoro
BlueVoid: A Streetcar Name Desire
Bondo: Shortbus
chardy999: Con Air
Clovis8: My Winnipeg
Corndog: The Truman Show
duder: The Son
Emiliana: Wer früher stirbt, ist länger tot
faceboy: Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
ferris: To Die For
FifthCityMuse: Last Life in the Universe
FLYmeatwad: Perfect Blue
Holly Harry: Stroszek
jbissell: F for Fake
jdc: Shaolin Soccer
Junior: Three Comrades
¡Keith!: Until the End of the World
Sam the Cinema Snob: Ostrov
matt tmw: Ted Baryluk's Grocery
Melvil: Mindgame
michael x: Harakiri
Mr C: The Great Silence

To be continued...

pixote

Either you've seen From Russia With Love (yay!) or you're not anxious to see it (doh!).
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »

I've only made it through the first half of the alphabet so far. The Mother and the Whore will likely show up in part two.  :)

pixote

I did notice I was not on the list....but that just may be you've seen all the films.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:02 PM »
It's funny how things can change from year to year. I'm reading the list I sent in last year and there are certain love I really love but I find myself asking 'What the heck is that movie doing in that spot?!' There will certainly be at least shifting as well as some new entries for the 2010 list.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »
If I may put some plugs for a few films I deem to be essential viewing:
La Fille de l'Eau, which is an early Jean Renoir film showcasing some dazzling cinematography, editing, and visual effects. Remember, this film is from 1926!

Happy Together, Wong Kar Wai's most sublime picture in my opinion. Fantastic character relationships that are told not only through script and acting, but also through the visual delights the director gives us.

Throne of Blood, a Kurosawa film that doesn't quite get the acclaim I think it deserves. A retelling of Macbeth, but even awesomer.

Je, tu, il, elle from Filmspotting's favourite chick Chantal Akerman. This one is tremendously minimalist, but covers some great themes of loneliness and the strange connections that can bind people together, if only temporarily.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
, Steven Spielberg's whimsy and adventurous tale about human-alien contact. Fun, brilliantly filmed.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth. It is an absolutely captivating mystery story with many, many twists and turns. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine give powerhouse performances and either of them should have won the Oscar that year (Yes, over Marlon Brando). Do not see the 2007 remake which ruins the original, but if you are able to track it down, see it. It will easily be in my top 10.
It's the only film in my IMDb marathon I'm having trouble tracking down. Any suggestions as to where it can (legally) be obtained?

I caught it on TCM a while back. And c'mon, it's not illegal to download it if it's not even available on DVD.

There's obviously many films you should all consider, but if you haven't seen F For Fake, DO IT.

love