love

Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35884 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth.
It's the only film in my IMDb marathon I'm having trouble tracking down. Any suggestions as to where it can (legally) be obtained?
I caught it on TCM a while back. And c'mon, it's not illegal to download it if it's not even available on DVD.
I prefer not to get into that world, even if it is legal.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
Either you've seen From Russia With Love (yay!) or you're not anxious to see it (doh!).

Yeah, I did a marathon of all the Connery Bond films at some point.

I did notice I was not on the list....but that just may be you've seen all the films.

Yeah, more the latter. There were a few I'm not 100% positive I've seen (Life of Brian, The Blues Brothers) and at least one that I never finished and have no strong desire to try again with (Blazing Saddles). The others that I haven't seen, I'm pretty ambivalent about (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Silent Movie), except for Blue Velvet, which I'd already pulled from another list. I'm thinking your new list will have more that I haven't seen, given what I've seen from your 80s bracket verdicts.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
Yeah, more the latter. There were a few I'm not 100% positive I've seen (Life of Brian, The Blues Brothers) and at least one that I never finished and have no strong desire to try again with (Blazing Saddles). The others that I haven't seen, I'm pretty ambivalent about (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Silent Movie), except for Blue Velvet, which I'd already pulled from another list. I'm thinking your new list will have more that I haven't seen, given what I've seen from your 80s bracket verdicts.

pixote

Give Fear And Loathing a chance. I understand that there are a lot of people who do not get this film, but I, personally, love it.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »
I'm having trouble measuring the more grim movies like The Dark Knight and Munich with lighter themed movies like Wall-E and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Also, my list has like zero classics on it. As I previously posted (a post which I'll use to my defense! ;)) the movies that are more personal (not always the best "made") for me are ones in recent years that many don't hold in as high regard as I do. Examples off my top 100 include Finding Neverland and Mystic River, two films I'd call beautifully executed. Yet people love to tear them a new ass.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »
I'm having trouble measuring the more grim movies like The Dark Knight and Munich with lighter themed movies like Wall-E and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Also, my list has like zero classics on it. As I previously posted (a post which I'll use to my defense! ;)) the movies that are more personal (not always the best "made") for me are ones in recent years that many don't hold in as high regard as I do. Examples off my top 100 include Finding Neverland and Mystic River, two films I'd call beautifully executed. Yet people love to tear them a new ass.

I love both those films, but neither will make my list.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth. It is an absolutely captivating mystery story with many, many twists and turns. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine give powerhouse performances and either of them should have won the Oscar that year (Yes, over Marlon Brando). Do not see the 2007 remake which ruins the original, but if you are able to track it down, see it. It will easily be in my top 10.

What about if I've seen the remake, and didn't like it? Is it one of these films where the twists and turns are what's most enjoyable, or will I still get a lot out of the film?

Well, since I enjoy making lists and pretending that I will watch all the things on those lists, I went through the top 100 of everyone who is currently active on the board and jotted down the top film that they listed that I hadn't seen. I want to get through at least some (what an ambiguous quantity) before my ballot is due. (NB: ordered from A-Z of Filmspotters.)

I love this idea... especially the pretending to watch things part.

I'm going to cheat, though, and pick the first unseen film on the list that I'm actually anxious to watch.

(...)
Emiliana: Wer früher stirbt, ist länger tot
(...)

To be continued...

pixote

Eep! I should rewatch that as well - not many films have delighted me as much on my first viewing, but I have been hesitant to go back for fear of discovering it doesn't hold up. And I wish I could install a chip in your brain to make you understand Bavarian  :D.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:33 AM »
If I were to recommend ONE movie for people to put on people's lists that would not normally appear, that film would be the 1972 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz Sleuth. It is an absolutely captivating mystery story with many, many twists and turns. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine give powerhouse performances and either of them should have won the Oscar that year (Yes, over Marlon Brando). Do not see the 2007 remake which ruins the original, but if you are able to track it down, see it. It will easily be in my top 10.

What about if I've seen the remake, and didn't like it? Is it one of these films where the twists and turns are what's most enjoyable, or will I still get a lot out of the film?

You lose some because of it, but it still should be seen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:29 AM »
To be continued...

NedMeier: Tropical Malady
'Noke: Grizzly Man
OlympicArtichoke: Videodrome
oneaprilday: Tampopo
philip918: Voices of a Distant Star
Ronan: The Mission
roujin: Syndromes and a Century
sdedalus: Voyage in Italy
ses593: Grease
skjerva: I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone
smirnoff: Another Woman
St. Martin the Bald: Millennium Mambo
StarCarly: The Vanishing
oldkid: The Emperor's New Groove
Steven O. Selsnik: Broadway Danny Rose
StudentOFilm: All That Jazz
THATguy: The Science of Sleep
The Mighty Celestial: The Wolf Man
tinyholidays: Masculin Feminin
toro913: Underground
Thor: The Mother and the Whore
Tim: The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
verbALs: Midnight Run
Ver Schmer: Il Posto
Wilson: Flower of My Secret
winrit: Grease II
Woodpecker from Mars: Big Fish
worm@work: Charulata
zarodinu: Autumn Marathon

At least a handful of these are already queued up. We'll see.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »
Woo!

Everyone needs to see Voyage in Italy.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

sdedalus