Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35862 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
Falling Down has a great Robert Duvall performance but otherwise isn't very good.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Falling Down is my wish fulfillment movie.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »
Ver Schmer: Il Posto

If this makes a difference, I should note that Il Posto has dropped from my top five to the 25-50 range, tentatively.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »

If this makes a difference, I should note that Il Posto has dropped from my top five to the 25-50 range, tentatively.

Care to assign something else? Instant Netflix availability increases the likelihood I'll get to something like thirty fold.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »

Care to assign something else? Instant Netflix availability increases the likelihood I'll get to something like thirty fold.

I'm pretty bad at predicting what you'll like or dislike.  It's better if you name the next one that interests you the most, and I'll let you know if it'll rank (and approximately where it falls if it ranks).
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
chardy999: Con Air
Haha, I'm awesome!

Don't know if I'll be able to squeeze it in this year, but pixote watching Con Air is gold regardless.
Instant Netflix availability increases the likelihood I'll get to something like thirty fold.
Case in point!

It's better if you name the next one that interests you the most, and I'll let you know if it'll rank (and approximately where it falls if it ranks).
Okay, I'll let you know.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
3. Il Posto (1961, Ermanno Olmi)
4. The Cool World (1964, Shirley Clarke)
9. Early Spring (1956, Yasujiro Ozu)
11. Welfare (1975, Frederick Wiseman)
15. Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937, Sadao Yamanaka)
17. Warrendale (1967, Allan King)
27. Lovers and Lollipops (1956, Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin)
31. Le Trou (1960, Jacques Becker)
53. The Round-Up (1966, Miklos Jancso)
57. The Loves of a Blonde (1965, Milos Forman)
58. The Record of a Tenement Gentleman (1947, Yasujiro Ozu)
65. Toni (1935, Jean Renoir)
66. Black Peter (1964, Milos Forman)
67. The Cloud-Capped Star (1960, Ritwik Ghatak)
74. Vampyr (1932, Carl Dreyer)
81. Landscape in the Mist (1988, Theo Angelopoulos)
85. Jacquot de Nantes (1991, Agnes Varda)
87. Je, Tu, Il, Elle a/k/a I, You, She, He (1974, Chantal Akerman)
89. Tale of Tales (1979, Yuri Norstein)
99. Kings of the Road a/k/a In the Course of Time (1976, Wim Wenders)

I'd forgotten that you'd already convinced me to add Black Peter to my queue, so this might be moot, but the above titles are the films I'm most interested in seeing. More Ozu is always a good thing. Not sure if any of those were near the Top 300 last year, but maybe the push for next year can start now.

pixote

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
3. Il Posto (1961, Ermanno Olmi)
4. The Cool World (1964, Shirley Clarke)
9. Early Spring (1956, Yasujiro Ozu)

11. Welfare (1975, Frederick Wiseman)
15. Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937, Sadao Yamanaka)
17. Warrendale (1967, Allan King)
27. Lovers and Lollipops (1956, Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin)
31. Le Trou (1960, Jacques Becker)
53. The Round-Up (1966, Miklos Jancso)
57. The Loves of a Blonde (1965, Milos Forman)
58. The Record of a Tenement Gentleman (1947, Yasujiro Ozu)
65. Toni (1935, Jean Renoir)
66. Black Peter (1964, Milos Forman)
67. The Cloud-Capped Star (1960, Ritwik Ghatak)
74. Vampyr (1932, Carl Dreyer)
81. Landscape in the Mist (1988, Theo Angelopoulos)
85. Jacquot de Nantes (1991, Agnes Varda)
87. Je, Tu, Il, Elle a/k/a I, You, She, He (1974, Chantal Akerman)
89. Tale of Tales (1979, Yuri Norstein)
99. Kings of the Road a/k/a In the Course of Time (1976, Wim Wenders)

I'd forgotten that you'd already convinced me to add Black Peter to my queue, so this might be moot, but the above titles are the films I'm most interested in seeing. More Ozu is always a good thing. Not sure if any of those were near the Top 300 last year, but maybe the push for next year can start now.

I crossed out the ones that will not be on my new list.  There is a chance that Landscape and Kings might be dropped, too.  Black Peter is the film that I'd be the happiest about you checking out.  You'd get to the Wiseman and King, eventually.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
Black Peter (Milos Forman, 1964)

A criminally overlooked adolescent/coming-of-age gem of a film which is also one of my two favorite Forman films.  If you like Show Me Love/F*cking Amal, The 400 Blows, Gregory's Girl, Il Posto (by my count only roujin and I have seen that gem; shame of you, folks, calling yourselves film lovers!), or Flirting, you need to give Forman's film a chance.  Whenever I watch it, it transports me to my teenage years.  It's also a funny film that puts a huge smile on my face.  The "Ahoy" sequence is one of the funniest I've ever seen.  The DVD subtitles are off or dropped on occasion, but not so much that watching the film is a ruined experience.  Might return with some screenshots of my own.  And who can turn down watching a film with a dancing sequence like this?:

Milos Forman - Cerny Petr (1964)

The second film I want all Filmspotters to check out before the deadline is:

La Haine
Kassovitz, Mathieu   1995   France

The previous Top 100s are lacking in films with multiple non-Caucasian protagonists or films that take place in such characters' milieus.  (And most of the ones that did make the lists take place in Japan or Hong Kong.)  Now I see that Do the Right Thing received 13 votes last year and placed in the Top 100 and La Haine got 4.  I urge those that those that have seen the Spike Lee film to watch Kassovitz's.  La Haine follows three French males during a 24-hour period in the wake of riots in response to police brutality.  It's fierce stuff.  And I'm not pushing for this film just to get variety into the list.  I genuinely think it's a great film.  Most importantly for many of you, it's a part of the Criterion Collection.  Here's a [noembed]trailer[/noembed] and the well-known [noembed]aerial shot[/noembed].

And I'll just throw in a third film:

A beautiful film of childhood vignettes structured by emotional and associational editing.  There are also instances of moviegoing, dialogue snippets from films such as The Magnificent Ambersons and Kind Hearts and Coronets, and lovely use of music.  The film also has perhaps my favorite montage sequence of all time.  See screenshots here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:22:13 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
La Haine
Kassovitz, Mathieu   1995   France

The previous Top 100s are lacking in films with multiple non-Caucasian protagonists or films that take place in such characters' milieus.  (And most of the ones that did make the lists take place in Japan or Hong Kong.)  Now I see that Do the Right Thing received 13 votes last year and placed in the Top 100 and La Haine got 4.  I urge those that those that have seen the Spike Lee film to watch Kassovit's.  La Haine follows three French males during a 24-hour period in the wake of riots in response to police brutality.  It's fierce stuff.  And I'm not pushing for this film just to get variety into the list.  I genuinely think it's a great film.

It has been on my radar for quite a while now, thanks for the reminder.