love

Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread  (Read 35918 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Nominees/Promotion Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »

#386 on last years list. Let's remedy that.

(That's Brief Encounter for all those too lazy to click!)

YES! I wonder if my vote was the only one last year - it's possible, as I had it as my #3 of all time. Again, a beautiful, romantic and heartbreaking love story.

After my second viewing it has earned a definite spot in the top 50, perhaps even top 30. Great romantic movie.

My better half, who usually has an appreciation of films that amounts to not falling asleep halfway through a film she likes, really loves Brief Encounter. When I ask her to explain why its such a good film it seems to boil down to the unrequited quality to the romance. She tells me it is special because in another life they would have been able to fulfill their feelings for each other, given a different set of circumstances. That to me seems to equate to an awful lot of frustration and wasted time, and I am sure that shows I am an unthinking unfeeling brute of a bloke, sorry. It reminds me of my feeling about In the Mood for Love. It never quite gets where its going.

Funny, that "never gets where its going" feelings reminds me of Humpday. Brief Encounter captures the longing and anticipation of impossible love that everyone has felt. It's also very funny at times and I just love the performances.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Hey everybody! Don't forget Roman Polanski's Macbeth like I almost did.

Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
Don't forget about Cleo from 5 to 7! I'd include a screencap if I had it on DVD, but instead, I'll make do with YouTube spam. One of the most emotionally stunning shots I've ever seen - notice how the moment builds, unbearably, but the camera refuses to cut away, as Cleo confronts the emptiness and loneliness of impending death.

Sans Toi Cléo5à7

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »

Very strange Polanski's MacBeth doesn't appear on imdb but I'm sure I have seen it. In fact we were taken to see it at school and it is extremely bloody as I remember. Is that Martin Shaw in that shot? If so he is better known for being in The Professionals which was like a UK version of Starsky and Hutch.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »

Very strange Polanski's MacBeth doesn't appear on imdb but I'm sure I have seen it. In fact we were taken to see it at school and it is extremely bloody as I remember. Is that Martin Shaw in that shot? If so he is better known for being in The Professionals which was like a UK version of Starsky and Hutch.

Martin Shaw plays Banquo in Polanski's Macbeth.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »

Thanks found it now (didn't think I'd drunk that much last night). That really is quite funny given what Shaw is known for in the UK. Don't suppose The Professionals ever made it overseas. It has Gordon Jackson (known for being in the Great Escape) acting all tough as the boss. One of the last of the seventies tough guy shows best represented by The Sweeney.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »

I'm a little tipsy, so I read this like Martin Starr played Banquo, and I was, like NO WAY HE'S TOO YOUNG. Lolol.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:39 AM »

Thanks found it now (didn't think I'd drunk that much last night). That really is quite funny given what Shaw is known for in the UK. Don't suppose The Professionals ever made it overseas. It has Gordon Jackson (known for being in the Great Escape) acting all tough as the boss. One of the last of the seventies tough guy shows best represented by The Sweeney.

The Professionals made it here to Australia, I enjoyed watching it at the time, it is on again, but watching it now makes me realise just how fascist it was. Gordon Jackson was also in Whiskey Galore and Rockets Galore 2 very funny Ealing comedies. He was very young. I think many who are older than me may remember him from Upstairs, Downstairs. It is always a pleasure to see him in any role.

The Sweeney was an awesome show, better than The Professionals, I remember watching the first episode in media class at uni. Great stuff.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »
Yes The Sweeney from the time when PC just referred to a copper. John Thaw went on to become Inspector Morse and Dennis Waterman became Minder, the quintessential West London show, my 'manor'.

If Life on Mars do you get that?) is based on anything its The Sweeney, 'you're nicked you....!'

Ooops rathole!

love