love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Books Part 2 (2010)  (Read 62497 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Filmspotters' Top 100 Books Part 2 (2010)
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
HERE ARE THE OFFICIAL RULES:

1. All books are up for consideration. Fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, books of poetry and short stories, plays.
2. Series will be put on the list in one spot. This means that Harry Potter will take a spot, not Prisoner of Azkaban.
2a. However, if you would like to vote for a single book in a series, please do. They will count as a vote for the series and I'll put the number of votes each separate part gets in the post for the book series. Like this.
3. Even comic strips are up for consideration. The full run of Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side would take one spot each, if they get the votes.
4. You can submit a ranked ballot of 30 books to me in PM form starting right now!
5. The deadline for submission is November 4th. The countdown will be some short time later, TBD.
6. Please ask other questions in this thread or send me a PM.

We've got new people and read more, so after two years I think it's about time to update our list of the best 100 books of all time ever in existence and other dimensions. With all that in mind, I'd like to get a list of people interested in contributing to the list so that we can figure out the best voting method. Accordingly, if you could post in this thread with a comment saying that you'll compile a list as soon as possible we can get this thing rolling. Here's what we did last time to give a bit of a reference, and our previous list.

I'm open to changing the rules or having multiple lists. We never got around to doing the plays so if we want to include them in this that would be a thing to do. Or not.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:46:24 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Books Part 2 (2010)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
Just a suggestion:

Maybe we could mix it up and have categories. top 10 non-fiction, top 10 graphic novels, top 10 sci-fi/fantasy, top ten plays and so on.

Whatever way we decide to do it, count me in.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
I like that idea. I wouldn't really want to limit it to 10, though, because we might just get the canon of those genres/media. If we were to do the specific lists I'd rather have 30 or 50 or whatever, depending on how many entrants we have.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »
Heh, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum then. When I said top 10 I was actually thinking Erg, maybe 10 is too many :) I see your point about the wanting titles that aren't so typical. Maybe list length need not be set in stone.

Perhaps so long as a title appears on x number of ballots it should be on the list. Maybe that makes it a top 6 or top 66...

dunno...

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
What I liked most about the previous list was less the higher number but more the lower numbers where the books that one or a few people loved but not everybody read (like Gatsby) and that's what makes our list interesting to me. I like that our top three or whatever are great books that most people like but I also like seeing people's personal favorites. I'm more exited that our list has The Phantom Tollbooth and Desert Solitare and those lot than I am that it has 1984 and TKAM, as much as I like those books.

But again, this is a nebulous thing right now. It should probably be more than just you and me deciding everything!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
Too true. Seeing everybody's personal lists was probably the best part last time.

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Count me in for whatever we decide to do.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
I don't want too many lists. Fiction and Non-Fiction maybe but I'm not sure I'd want to break it up further. Ballot size of 20 again? That is probably more than sufficient for my purposes at least as long as we follow the precedent of Lord of the Rings and unite single narrative arc series as individual entries so I can vote for Harry Potter rather than Harry Potter and the...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
I'd be fine with that too. I'm not married to the many categories idea.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I also like the idea of doing one list because it treats all genres of book equally. Count me in. I've actually never made a top books list before, so this will be an interesting adventure on my part. You know, a list-making adventure. Shut it, Indy. Not everybody needs Nazis on their ass all the time.

love