Author Topic: August 2010 MDC Write-ups: Filmspotters' Top 250  (Read 31228 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: August 2010 MDC Write-ups: Filmspotters' Top 250
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »
I don't know what it is, I should love this film, I've watched it several times, but for some reason it hasn't cracked my top 100 yet. I think I'm going to give it another watch this month.

Maybe you are just worried that having this in your top-100 would push you that much closer to being a self-stereotype :D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »
No, not really. It's just the kind of film I usually love.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:41 PM »
Bill, glad to hear that you loved High and Low. It is really just absolutely cool. If I had a Blu-ray player, I would absolutely purchase that film. Should probs see it again. If I wait long enough, some Seattle cinema will show it.

(Side note: I like using original language titles, but does it seem strange to anyone else to do so for a language that doesn't actually use the Roman alphabet? In doing so, we still essentially are translating the title. So, then, why not just translate it into English? Just a thought.)

Bondo, I had a pretty similar reaction to Aguirre. Hmm, this is interesting. Uh, yeah. That's interesting. Mmmhmm. Gosh, I wish this weren't dubbed. [nod] Okay. Finished Aguirre! I get cookie?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »
Watching Herzog is its own reward.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »

But... cookies.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »

But... cookies.
Mind over cookies, tiny, mind over cookies.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
Bondo, I had a pretty similar reaction to Aguirre. Hmm, this is interesting. Uh, yeah. That's interesting. Mmmhmm. Gosh, I wish this weren't dubbed. [nod] Okay. Finished Aguirre! I get cookie?

I'm so gullible, I went and watched Aguirre without even trying to leverage a cookie out of the deal. Drat. On the bright side, I think I'm going to Chili's for lunch so I can haz phahida.

Aguirre was due up in the second round of Lisztomania if it hadn't been dictated here so I was going to get to it one way or another.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
I don't know what it is, I should love this film, I've watched it several times, but for some reason it hasn't cracked my top 100 yet. I think I'm going to give it another watch this month.

I've only seen it once, but it did not do much for me. Fun to watch Klaus and all, and decent enough, but outside of the fantastic end I found little to pull me back in for a rewatch.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
I liked Aguirre quite a bit.  Fitzcarraldo is still my favorite Herzog though.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
In a Lonely Place

I like Bogey in just about everything, and I found his darker turn here to be captivating... however, the lowered stakes of the rest of the script just kind of bored me.

It hinted to this dark side, and there were moments where you'd see it come out, but it was pushed too far the other way... the happy couple or dutiful worker scenes took up too much of the screen time.  You needed them to balance the darkness (and the, according to Wikipedia, totally copped out ending compared to the original planned)... I don't know. 

Although I feel like I'm being kind of harsh, it's not that I disliked the film, not at all... I just was really hoping for something to knock me on my ass, and this didn't.  Maybe that's the story for me and Nicholas Ray.  I went into Rebel... pretty excited, and ended up actively hating it, and this, I had such high hopes for, and just ended up finding it "good".

Not something I'll consider for my Top 100.  Sorry Matt.

*** 1/2