love

Poll

How many books should we have for our ballots in an effort to make our list of the top 100 books of all time?

Other (please specify in comments)

Author Topic: How many books for our ballots?  (Read 4666 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: How many books for our ballots?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:19:53 PM »
I think my answer to the poll depends on the answer to this question. Can I use one spot for Harry Potter or must I use multiple spots for Harry Potter? Because if I'm listing out individual HP books and individual His Dark Materials trilogy books, etc, it would eat up spots real fast. For now I'm assuming series are counted as one entry and voting 30.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
I think my answer to the poll depends on the answer to this question. Can I use one spot for Harry Potter or must I use multiple spots for Harry Potter? Because if I'm listing out individual HP books and individual His Dark Materials trilogy books, etc, it would eat up spots real fast. For now I'm assuming series are counted as one entry and voting 30.

Wasn't His Dark Materials featured as one book for the previous list? I'm devoting one spot to HP, whether it's one book to represent the whole series or the series itself.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

Wasn't His Dark Materials featured as one book for the previous list? I'm devoting one spot to HP, whether it's one book to represent the whole series or the series itself.

I haven't looked over the previous list well enough (my mind is awash in film titles and directors names, eek).

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
Yes, that would likely happen. Would they be more of the high-school reading list, though? Is that a bad thing?

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.  I loved a lot of the books I had to read in high school.

The list was pretty much a high school reading list. These were the top 6.

1. The Great Gatsby
2. 1984
3. Crime and Punishment
4. The Lord of the Rings
5. The Catcher in the Rye
6. To Kill a Mockingbird

I thought the The Catcher in the Rye always got banned in American schools.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »

In the way that assigning it to every sophomore who goes through the American school system actually robs the book of much of its experiential meaning, sure.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »

Doubt it was banned at the time (though it certainly has been), but I didn't read it in HS. You see, they actually assigned GOOD books. Wait, do we have an Unpopular Book Opinions thread? Seriously though, I liked the vast majority of what I read for school, it was the writing about it that rather put me off.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I could make a list of 30 books I can consider to be all time favourites. Not sure I could go higher than that however.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »
30 would be about my max. I'm a pretty harsh reader.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »
Last time we had series like Sandman and Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as one spot on the list. This makes sense to continue, I think.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
I made a list of 30 that I think is pretty solid representing childhood through the present. There are a few I'd easily bump to honorable mention status simply because they are academic non-fiction that I can be almost completely certain no one else here has read much less liked enough to put on their list. The difficulty is my more intensive record keeping on reading only goes back two years and I just can't remember the names of everything I read and liked though I did gather up a fair few.

love