love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193748 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #2070 on: February 07, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
Family first.

We're here for you, James, and we will be here when you pop up.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2071 on: February 07, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
Very sorry about your loss. :(

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2072 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
Two police officers were shot and killed in the line of duty in my town here in Central Ohio. This kind of violence and tragedy really took me by surprise. Having lived in Columbus my whole life I know the kind of violence the big city can sometimes bring, but I never would have imagined it in my quaint suburb. It’s hard to imagine in any setting of course.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2073 on: February 10, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »
I'm thankful i live in a place where the last time a police officer was murdered in the line of duty was 1994 and before that 1979. I couldn't imagine the response if something like that happened now.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2074 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:37 AM »
James, I'm glad you have the opportunity to assist with your family when they need you.  Take care.  Be comforted.

Corndog, you take care, too.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2075 on: February 11, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
Sending out virtual hugs to oldkid, Sam and Corndog.

oldkid, thanks for answering my question. There does seem to be some glimmers of hope in your communities. I want to say take care of yourself, but I know you’ll continue to do what you do, so I wish for you strength and support in your endeavors.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2076 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:46 AM »
I want to say take care of yourself, but I know you’ll continue to do what you do, so I wish for you strength and support in your endeavors.

Mrs. oldkid laughed at that.

Thanks for the well-wishes.  And yeah, it's a time to fight.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Parnassus

• Soundtrack Lover
    • The Soundtrack Central
« Reply #2077 on: February 20, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
So obviously, if you haven't heard, something terrible has happened in the past week, another school shooting has occurred in Florida, Parkland. This time, 17 kids were killed, 14 were wounded, 5 with life-threatening injuries.

Now, I didn't post this in "Politics" because I feel like this goes beyond a political issue. I mean, both sides need to do something about this regardless of your sentiments on guns. Children are dying. I mean, where I come from, children don't go to school being afraid of not seeing the next day. They are afraid of tests, exams, and socialization.

And really, I'm just tired of seeing this crap on my news feed so often. Orlando, Atlanta, Sandy Hook (20 first graders killed), Las Vegas (59 dead), and now this is the latest statistic. I don't want to be desensitized, and I don't want this to be the "normal". So if you aren't happy about what the "other side" is saying, do something about our children and the dying Americans.

Here's a video I posted on another forum but got taken down because it's too "political". But you know what, once again, I feel like this is important enough that it goes beyond petty politics. The survivors, the youth of the school shooting are now speaking up and conducting a rally/movement called "March For Our Lives", and Emma Gonzalez here delivers a powerful speech to the "adults" who are sitting on their thumb and collecting cheques while people are dying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMxG0reODQY

The official website for the movement is down below if you want to help the cause. Spread the word.
https://www.marchforourlives.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2078 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
I get posting that in this thread. It's such a depressing happening and our Republican friends are seemingly uninterested in even thinking about addressing it. I do find great hope in these kids standing up for themselves and their fallen classmates and teachers. It's something we haven't really seen before and I think it will be the beginning of the end of this BS. They will soon vote, and I hope they will do so in record-breaking numbers. My generation showed some promise in this department as we elected Obama twice, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that those two votes were still based mostly on his personality since we didn't show up to vote in the midterms or for Hillary (enough). These kids (and my generation has seemed to snap more into this mindset post-Trump) care about issues, passionately, and that goes beyond one election (I hope). We'll see, I guess.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Parnassus

• Soundtrack Lover
    • The Soundtrack Central
« Reply #2079 on: February 20, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
The thing is, America has always had a gun problem, and I'm not one to care about politics. I don't really want to get into your "rights" and your business of keeping guns, because things were still manageable before, functional. Growing up, I learned (from my parents) that America can be a dangerous place where shootings are more frequent than other countries, and I've accepted that as part of the norm. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

But here's the thing: there have been 18 school shootings in America this year. 18 over the course of 51 days, barely two months. This isn't even taking into account one of the worst mass shootings just shortly last year in Las Vegas, where someone could actually open fire into a concert (then again, there was Aurora, at a movie premiere). So yeah, pardon me for being a bit concerned. Things have to change. Even if it means you get to keep your guns, something has to change, starting with restrictions on semi-automatic weapons built to kill - not for home-protection or hunting, but mass-killing. Or return the mental health background check. Something.

I do find great hope in these kids standing up for themselves and their fallen classmates and teachers. It's something we haven't really seen before and I think it will be the beginning of the end of this BS. They will soon vote, and I hope they will do so in record-breaking numbers.

These kids (and my generation has seemed to snap more into this mindset post-Trump) care about issues, passionately, and that goes beyond one election (I hope). We'll see, I guess.

Yeah, it's good to see the young leading us into the future with their passion. I mean, you know, with these movements, it's quite often the passionate and optimistic youth who stand up for what is right and speak out. I can't remember which talk show host mentioned it, but he said something about how previous revolutions involved a lot of youths as well speaking out, so it's nice to see a good part of history repeating itself. Hopefully, with this, we could finally see another step of ethical evolution in our great country.

love