love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193825 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #2220 on: October 21, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
I used to be that way. Bed by 11, drift off to sleep around 12, get up around 6ish every morning, get ready for work and be good. Depression/medication changed all of that and I sleep a lot more than I used to.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2221 on: October 22, 2020, 08:41:38 AM »
I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping due to depression and a variety of other things. That's all still there, but since getting a regimented 5 day a week gym schedule, it has allowed me to establish a relatively consistent sleep schedule (Saturday excluded).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2222 on: November 13, 2020, 09:47:17 PM »
Had my follow-up today with the sleep doctor. I have severe sleep apnea. Have to get a machine. No insurance so playing out off pocket. At least glad I didn't get A PS5 now.

I wonder how much money I've lost in the past few years because I don't have health insurance. Gotta love America.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:01:11 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2223 on: November 13, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
Damn, that sucks. CPAPs aren't cheap. I've used one for 30 years. Did they recommend one with a humidifier? I have a DreamStation, it's "only" $500 without the humidifier (you can add one later) at TheCPAPShop and I saw a popup about a 20% off deal going on.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2224 on: November 13, 2020, 10:56:18 PM »
Had my follow-up today with the sleep doctor. I have severe sleep apnea. Have to get a machine. No insurance so playing out off pocket. At least glad I didn't get A PS5 now.

I wonder how much money I've lost in the past few years because I don't have health insurance. Gotta love America.

This is the shit that gets me riled up. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I do hope you get better sleep.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2225 on: November 14, 2020, 02:37:24 AM »
CPAP was a real game changer for my buddy. While it is a pain (in the wallet), the quality of life difference was pretty signifit once he got used to it, so hopefully you have that to look forward to. I think there's a CPAP subreddit. It is nice at least to have some definitive explanation at least for why you're feeling the way you are.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2226 on: November 14, 2020, 02:47:34 AM »

Well, I have quite a lot of insurance but it still doesn’t cover sleep apnea unfortunately. i did a overnight test where somebody came to my place to connect the machine but was all out of pocket.

Never looked into one of those machines, anybody with experience can recommend the model they use?  My sleep habits are horrible, not all due to sleep apnea but that doesn;t help
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2227 on: December 14, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »

Well, about a month later and still struggling with the machine. Found out the first three weeks it wasn't sealing so basically did me no good. Switched to a nasal mask and it looks like the numbers are a lot better but I'm getting a lot less sleep with the machine on so I don't feel nearly as well rested.

Today was kinda a breaking point as I fell asleep right as I need to go into work and asked my boss if I can shift my schedule back some.

He seemed okay with changing up my schedule but also hasn't been happy with my job performance which honestly I don't have much control over as I spend every week taking on more stuff to do and every week he says I'm not busy or productive enough. I dunno how long this back and forth can last. I can't make work appear out of thin air and he's already basically repurposed my position from tech support to sales which I told him in my interview I could do if needed but also said I would want training which he has not given even though I've asked several times. I dunno. I'm just sticking it out, doing the work I can do the best I can and then trying to catch up on rest/sleep when I'm not working.

I hope something changes by the end of the year because I'm so tired all the time now.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2228 on: December 14, 2020, 07:28:00 PM »
Sounds like you need to document all exchanges with him, since he keeps moving the goal post. Sorry about that, Sam. And sorry you're still not getting enough sleep. It's hard to stand your ground when you're exhausted.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2229 on: December 14, 2020, 10:39:52 PM »
CPAP takes a while to get used to. When you say nasal mask, do you mean one that covers your nose, or the "nasal pillow" style that plugs into your nostrils? I've used the former for some 30 years and I can't sleep without it, but I do recall there was an adjustment period. Can you elaborate on what's making it hard to sleep? I wish I had some good advice to make it easier for you. I always keep a water bottle on my nightstand because even with the humidifier I get pretty dried out. Adjust the headgear if you feel it will help... they often aren't very good at getting the right fit.