Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193840 times)

Mosca

Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »
I just can't get better. It's becoming a real problem. :(

Also, its not even the cool kind of sick where I get to watch movies all day. I'm so tired that my attention span is super short (even though I can't sleep, it's impossible not to try). It's really a waste.
That sounds really miserable. I hope you've seen a quack.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #461 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:53 AM »
Also, its not even the cool kind of sick where I get to watch movies all day. I'm so tired that my attention span is super short (even though I can't sleep, it's impossible not to try). It's really a waste.

Yeah, that's the worst. I'm only fifteen minutes into a movie I started an hour ago. Just can't focus. And I'm not even sick (I hope).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Totoro

« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
I think I'm going to quit my job and find another one.

So, this is what happened. I call in to tell them I'm sick. My manager says, "Oh, well, I mean, gosh... you've had a pretty poor attendance record in the past." Me: "WHAT?!" Him: "Yeah, I mean... you've called in sick before (honestly, I've done it about twice in my 2 years of working there) and you've switched shifts before a lot (this is true, but when does shift switching have to do with a attendance record?" Me: "Well, I've only been sick once or twice before and I don't understand-" Him: "We'll talk about your attendance when you come in sometime. I'll cover you now, but ___(my name)___, I run a business."

Okay, so here's some new discoveries: my work just hired about 8-9 new people, all starting in the section I work in. They have some leverage with me even though I've never done anything that they've nailed me on with a warning or whatever. Perhaps I'm getting too comfortable at work. It's just, ugh. I don't like any of my managers - none of them are friendly. The job has been really soul sucking the last few months. Of course I'll set up myself for a new job before I do anything. I've gone through this kind of sh-- before. They say, "you're too comfortable" and I act all "yes, master, anything you say master, please don't fire me, master", but now it's getting a little redundant and tired.

Any advice, filmspotting? It really sucks because I've been there for so long. Also, I didn't know where else to post this.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
Any advice, filmspotting? It really sucks because I've been there for so long. Also, I didn't know where else to post this.

I don't know what you do for a living and how hard it is for you to find a new job, but that is not the most pleasant situation.  The incident by itself might have been just one particular manager being an arse, but if its part of a pattern or your work place is going through readjustments it may be serious.  If it has gotten to the point where you are thinking of your job in terms of leverage and what excuses they can use to give you the chop, I would look for other places to work in, keeping an eye out for better opportunities can't hurt. 

I never stay long in places where I am treated badly or where I have to grovel before the boss.  Even if you do not lose your job, no man should be treated like that, dogs grovel, men deserve respect.  I have lost jobs because I refused unreasonable demands by bosses or unions, sometimes you gotta accept certain things to put food on the table, but atleast as a long term goal, I always try to find work where I am respected.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
Well said zarodinu.  Good luck Totoro--maybe there is a reason that you're "comfortable". What is it that you really want to work for? What is your passion?

Totoro

« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2011, 02:44:16 AM »

I don't know what you do for a living and how hard it is for you to find a new job, but that is not the most pleasant situation.  The incident by itself might have been just one particular manager being an arse, but if its part of a pattern or your work place is going through readjustments it may be serious.  If it has gotten to the point where you are thinking of your job in terms of leverage and what excuses they can use to give you the chop, I would look for other places to work in, keeping an eye out for better opportunities can't hurt. 

I never stay long in places where I am treated badly or where I have to grovel before the boss.  Even if you do not lose your job, no man should be treated like that, dogs grovel, men deserve respect.  I have lost jobs because I refused unreasonable demands by bosses or unions, sometimes you gotta accept certain things to put food on the table, but atleast as a long term goal, I always try to find work where I am respected.

Thank you. You have given me some courage in looking for another job.

Sandy, I want to get into the film business. But the problem is, a lot of the stuff that I apply for are internships, usually no pay. I'm still a college student. I need money.

Mosca

« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
Well, that's a nasty tale! Lucky you are able to deal with it. My view is that if you find yourself talking about work in a negative way, and can't stop it even when not AT work, it's time to move on. Usually the things that rile someone are the things that will never change because of someone else's incompetency or inertia. Just check the turnover of staff - that's always a good indication of how a place really is.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:14 PM »
*whimper*

Just because.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Mosca

« Reply #468 on: March 08, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
Charlie Sheen is ill. Engaging with his ramblings is comparable to laughing at him. It's a pity. And this is not me being a prude.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #469 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
Charlie Sheen is ill. Engaging with his ramblings is comparable to laughing at him. It's a pity. And this is not me being a prude.

I completely agree.

love