Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193733 times)

michael x

• Elite Member
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
Here's hoping everything works out for ya, tiny.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #641 on: July 14, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
Things are as bad as they seem.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
 :(

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #643 on: July 19, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
So my car's security system is a little key thing that connects below the wheel that if you remove prevents the car from starting. I've never once removed it for security reasons so this is a bit like the car's appendix. Well, it has been becoming clearer and clearer in recent weeks that the car was developing appendicitis. Going back a few years I've had occasional issues getting it started and perhaps even unnecessarily replaced the starter (mechanics can be crooks or incompetent). In the past week or two it basically required holding the key just so to get the car to start. Today the appendix burst. Can't get the car to start.

Obviously I should have been getting the car into the shop while I was still able to start it but money's tight and I'm not sure how much they'll decide it costs to disable the security device (hopefully a not too difficult bit of electronics but who knows) but now I guess I've got no choice.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #644 on: July 26, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »
Day 5 of being sick and after 3 visits to the doctor I don't feel any progress.  The last 24 hours were the worst
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #645 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »
Day 5 of being sick and after 3 visits to the doctor I don't feel any progress.  The last 24 hours were the worst

Hang in there jdc. Maybe it's time for a new doctor. I advise against watching any movie you love when you are sick--it ruins it. :P

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #646 on: July 26, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
Very little movie watching.  My sleep has been so disruptive that it would be hard to get through 2 hours at one go.  I think I only watched Buried and the original True Grit as I never had seen it before.  Otherwise, 2 seasons of breaking bad, re-watched 2 seasons of community and various seasons of Curb.  At least then it doesn't matter if I fall asleeep.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Totoro

« Reply #647 on: July 29, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
When you watch your parents suffer, you wonder what you can do to save them.

But ultimately, you feel helpless. They brought you into the world, they know so much more than we do at the point you are in your life. So how do you live with yourself knowing these people you love are going through so much pain? You try to help, but nothing seems to work. Perhaps living a good and successful life works as a remedy for them.

But I don't think that can soothe all of the wounds.

Some scars never go away.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:58:18 PM by Totoro »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #648 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »
Well, I don't know how often I will be on for the next couple weeks.  My computer's motherboard gave up the ghost, and it will be a bit until I get another one.  I'll be able to use the family computer, especially in the mornings, but I won't be on as frequently.   :'(

Even sadder, I won't be able to watch very many movies.  I've only got a computer to share with others and no TV or DVD player apart from computers in my house.  So my prep for the top 100 will be harmed, certainly.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #649 on: July 31, 2011, 12:58:39 AM »
Awww, bummer Steve! I hope you get things back to normal quickly!