Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193710 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
Last night, my hard disk crashed, so I'll be without a computer for a week or so. When that happened, I was ready to scream or cry or something. Hopefully this is now the climax of things that have not been going well recently (trying to help a friend out of his depression, not sleeping, losing my mp3-player), because I am not sure how much more I can take before I go crazy.

I ended up watching two episodes of Buffy last night, because I couldn't even call any of the people I wanted to call to vent: my parents are still in the USA, my brother is on business in Florence, friend A is in London, and I knew that friends B and C were on a date. And I couldn't even tell you lovely people....

Sorry to hear this.  Especially about the lost mp3 player.  That would really bug me.  Of course you won't read this reply for a week!  :(
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
Last night, my hard disk crashed, so I'll be without a computer for a week or so. When that happened, I was ready to scream or cry or something. Hopefully this is now the climax of things that have not been going well recently (trying to help a friend out of his depression, not sleeping, losing my mp3-player), because I am not sure how much more I can take before I go crazy.

I ended up watching two episodes of Buffy last night, because I couldn't even call any of the people I wanted to call to vent: my parents are still in the USA, my brother is on business in Florence, friend A is in London, and I knew that friends B and C were on a date. And I couldn't even tell you lovely people....

I don't get what you are complaining about, you got a perfect excuse to watch two episodes of Buffy.

Okay, that is bad but don't ever say I didn't try to be an optimist.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »

So sorry, Em. Hoping things take an upturn soon.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »

:( :( :(. hope things get better.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2009, 03:09:58 AM »
Thank you everyone! Things are looking up - I spent most of the weekend sleeping and watching films, I'm getting myself a new mp3-player today, my new hard disk is going to arrive tomorrow, so my computer should be up and running again by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. No idea yet if my data can be saved, though.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »
Thank you everyone! Things are looking up - I spent most of the weekend sleeping and watching films, I'm getting myself a new mp3-player today, my new hard disk is going to arrive tomorrow, so my computer should be up and running again by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. No idea yet if my data can be saved, though.

There are companies that can usually retrieve data from damaged HDs but they are kind of expensive (and it depends on the size of the HD) is it a work thing?

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »

There are companies that can usually retrieve data from damaged HDs but they are kind of expensive (and it depends on the size of the HD) is it a work thing?

No, it's not a work thing, so the expense of professional data retrieval would definitely be an issue. I'm going to have a friend try and help me by connecting the HD to a Linux system to see if I can access the data that way, but if that doesn't work, I'll just have to admit defeat. There's nothing absolutely vital on it, just plenty of private stuff that I'd hate to lose (pictures, e-mails, word docs etc.).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
I wish my computer would crash.  :P

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Thank you everyone! Things are looking up - I spent most of the weekend sleeping and watching films, I'm getting myself a new mp3-player today, my new hard disk is going to arrive tomorrow, so my computer should be up and running again by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Great to hear!  :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Hopefully worm and Thor and Tequila and ses and chesterfilms and VmSoze and karlwinslow and ElectricOtter and whoever else start posting like crazy and you don't even notice I'm gone.

I'm gonna go ahead and take credit for this.

Welcome back, chester!!!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love