Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193720 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
My check still isn't here and I'm afraid that if it doesn't arrive by Sat. and comes late, I won't be able to cash it in.  I've now become incredibly depressed and unwilling to write anything until I get what is owed to me.  I guess this means I won't be seeing anything and will end up spending whatever I have left.

Man I've been there - running out of money and pacing by the mailbox.  not fun.  Not fun at all. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2009, 09:23:21 PM »
I was on vacation in Florida 2 weeks ago.  Lovely, but unlike in the uniform division, work keeps piling up while you are gone, so I'm behind.  I was only able to actually work on my stuff one day last week.  I developed a nasty infection that had me out of work 2 days, then came back on Friday to do the fall inservice I'd missed on Thursday (and got a nasty cut on my palm while at the range--memo to self, hold flashlight NEXT to the gun in low light situation not on top of it where the slide action will bite you).

So now I'm still behind (behind-er) and I feel absolutely crappy today.  I'm coming down with a cold or sinus infection AND it's my Special Girly Day and as I mentioned in the Weather thread, it's cold and pouring rain.  I want nothing more than to be home in bed.  I still have 90 min to go.  I'm barely productive, AND I fell off the wagon with the eating better thing as soon as I realized I'd forgotten to bring my dinner to work with me.  Off to Mickey D's and I'm sipping the rest of my cup of Coke from dinner now.  That I let slide because Special Girly Day means all bets are off when it comes to sensible eating and doing any exercise.

Also, I have the sergeants exam on Thursday and I've done very little studying and I alternate between worrying that I'm going to go down in flames (but barely able to concentrate on studying) and feeling cocky because (a) I've always been good at taking tests, esp. multiple choice ones and (b) Passing is 65%, 100 questions and I should be able to get that on what I know now without really studying and (c) they can't make it super hard because everyone failing will look really bad.  Also I'm not even all that motivated to get promoted.  I kind of like where I am.

87 minutes til I can go home and go to bed.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
:(. Tough luck Colleen. Hopefully it'll get better soon.

Good Luck on the Sergeant's exam!!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
Good luck on the sergeants exam and hope you feel better quickly. 
Texan Down Under

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
Good luck on the sergeants exam ...

Well I think you want good luck.  Somehow I'm reminded of when Kirk got demoted back down to captain in Star Trek 4
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
The GM at Jimmy John's is probably in the top 4 idiots of all time. So at the beginning of the quarter I gave my availability to the old GM (best boss I've ever had, she was great) and she said yes to all the hours I wanted, which totaled about 20 a week, good enough considering I am going to school full time too. So then she leaves to go to Nashville, where she wanted to be, good for her.

The new GM comes in, tells me that whatever I told Val, those would be my hours. So great. Then he hires all of these stinkin' new people who don't know what they are doing and aren't the best workers (I take a lot of pride in being a good worker). Some of them are good workers, but for the most part no. He is doing this because he is implementing all the things corporate had always wanted to do, but Val never did them because she knew they wouldn't work. So now everything is a mess, labor is high because of all these new people, and he starts cutting my hours (in addition to the new people, some of which are getting less than 10 hours a week, hardly worth it). I get pissed, he tells me he is going to fix it but doesn't.

So now this brings us to today. He wasn't the manager (Monday we get someone else who is a million times better/nicer). He had changed my hours from 11-5 to 12-5, so when I showed up at 11 he told me I'd only be paid til 4, even if I stayed til 5. What!? (He was there doing some auditing). So then he leaves a little after I get there and it turns out the delivery driver wants to leave early. I have my bike, so I say I'll deliver for the last two hours and he goes home. Come 5 o'clock I go to clock out and see that he has already done it so that I only get my 5 hours. Insane! So the shift manager gets probably more pissed than I do and leaves a strongly worded message for the GM in my defense.

Honestly, this guy is a puppet.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
Keep in mind, if you want it to go to that level, that there are legal routes to take this.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
So, my 31 year old sister had a small stroke this week stemming from a blockage in her carotid artery. Her phase went numb, she had aphasia, the whole bit. She's had migraines and cluster headaches for years (along with smoking and taking the pill), so now that it's happened, it seems she's prone to it. Supposedly it was caught early and with blood thinners and other medication she'll be fine. She'll be in the hospital until Friday to be sure, and this is the first time she's been away from her 10 month old daughter for more than a few hours.

Both my other sister and I (as we both get migraines) are going to the doctor just to address the problem, but we don't have great reason to believe there will be a problem for us. I'm much more worried about not being around and it's really making it hard to live across the border, 7 to 12 hours away.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
This is tough, face.  So sorry to hear about your sister.  Please do get checked out!

In an aside, few people know that it's dangerous to put your head back in a shampoo bowl as you're usually seated in salons while having your hair washed.  It compresses the carotid artery and can cause a stroke. My sister-in-law had a small stroke as a result of this.  She's a medical doctor and knew the risk, but didn't think it would happen to her.  She's more careful now.
Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
Wow, so sorry, face, - must so difficult to be away from your family at a time like this. I really feel for your sister, too, having to be a away from her baby, who is about my own little one's age.