Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193721 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
I expect really tragic stuff: like divorce, deaths, loosing jobs and horrible breakups, lost pets and the likes.

Well, I've been unemployed for 9 of the past ten months (and didn't get any unemployment benefits) and we had to put my cat (who admittedly was 19) down in May. Does that make you...happier?

I've also got terribly low emotional intelligence and thus am unable to enjoy a lot of allegedly great films. ;)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
I understand Sam's point.  Usually when I see a new post here it means somebody had a loss in the family (inc. pets) or a breakup.  My complaint wasn't anything new in this business.  I've had my script turned down lots of times for various reasons.  I just found the quote to be worth sharing and wanted to post it.  Didn't shed a tear about it.  My skin's too thick.  I expect rejection in this business.  The fact that this actor was even considering it was big enough for me.

But I don't think we should discourage anyone from sharing if they're feeling a bit down.  That's what friends are for.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #392 on: November 14, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Good to hear 1SO, I was afraid you were getting soft. Keep strong. ;)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #393 on: November 14, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »

I suspect people are more willing to share a bad experience with a cop or a meal that wasn't worth the money, than some deep mental problem or some tragedy in their life, especially when it comes to strangers on the internet.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #394 on: November 14, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »

I suspect people are more willing to share a bad experience with a cop or a meal that wasn't worth the money, than some deep mental problem or some tragedy in their life, especially when it comes to strangers on the internet.

There's another topic with tragedies and problems.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #395 on: November 14, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like most of the stuff people are complaining about aren't nearly all that bad.

I expect really tragic stuff: like divorce, deaths, loosing jobs and horrible breakups, lost pets and the likes.

Instead, it's all about how everything in our lives isn't excellent or how every now and again something doesn't meet our expectations.

Take this as my early (or late, depending on where you are) Thanksgiving post. Most of us ain't got shit to complain about if this thread is any indication. Let's hope it stays that way.
You have an admirably dark heart, Sam. I'll see if I can walk under a bus soon, so you have something chew on. ;D

Filmspotters are just so considerate!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Adrienne

« Reply #396 on: November 15, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like most of the stuff people are complaining about aren't nearly all that bad.

Instead, it's all about how everything in our lives isn't excellent or how every now and again something doesn't meet our expectations.

Take this as my early (or late, depending on where you are) Thanksgiving post. Most of us ain't got shit to complain about if this thread is any indication. Let's hope it stays that way.
You have an admirably dark heart, Sam. I'll see if I can walk under a bus soon, so you have something chew on. ;D
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #397 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
In an effort to create more safety awareness (as a proactive move) in my shop - I am strictly enforcing the rule requiring protective eye wear - this is like herding cats especially when inmates are involved. Quite frustrating I tell you.

Nothing very serious - but worth a whimper (sorry Sam)...
Hey, nice marmot!

Adrienne

« Reply #398 on: November 15, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
In an effort to create more safety awareness (as a proactive move) in my shop - I am strictly enforcing the rule requiring protective eye wear - this is like herding cats especially when inmates are involved. Quite frustrating I tell you.
Inmates? A prison?

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #399 on: November 15, 2010, 09:08:26 AM »
Inmates? A prison?

I am the assistant reconditioning manager for an auto auction and I run the detail department directly - I use inmate work crews from the local state woman's prison (I have used mostly men in the past but the women are much better workers and their prison culture lends itself to a teamwork based working environment). All of my civilian workers (myself included) have been background checked, approved and trained to work with these inmates - they work along side of us and make a much better wage than they would working on the yard. A lot of them have families on the outside that they can still contribute to - also - a lot of times this is the inmate's first real job and we hopefully give them some real world work and people skills.
These girls are the very best, non-violent, low custody inmates in the system - it is a real privilege to have a job in this program and they are very proud of what they do here. We are very big on instilling self confidence in our crew.
It's a great program and I am very proud of the success we have had - some of these inmates have gone on to key positions working here at the auction. They also has a much lower recidivism rate than the regular inmate yard-based work programs.
Hey, nice marmot!