Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193644 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #470 on: March 08, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
Same. I don't see why anyone should be entertained by what is actually a pretty serious problem.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #471 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
Same. I don't see why anyone should be entertained by what is actually a pretty serious problem.

Because it is, funny.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #472 on: March 08, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Dude's so far gone, he needs to hit rock bottom and no amount of support is going to useful until that happens.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #473 on: March 09, 2011, 01:06:26 AM »
I have an ex-flame who got into drug addiction and basically destroyed her life, its not funny, and I wonder how bad he needs to get to be committed.  You wouldn't laugh at a a retarded child or a demented old man, and you shouldn't love at this poor soul.

The most disgusting part is the media that feeds off the thing under the guise of "concern", can't blame them, what with no war, economic collapse, labor protests, or massive upheavals in the Middle East to report on...   
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #474 on: March 09, 2011, 07:07:25 AM »
You wouldn't laugh at a a retarded child or a demented old man, and you shouldn't love at this poor soul.

I would, so would a lot of people, and a lot of comedians would craft jokes about them. All of life is funny, it's what helps make even the most heartbreaking things more heartbreaking and real.

Mosca

« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
You wouldn't laugh at a a retarded child or a demented old man, and you shouldn't love at this poor soul.

I would, so would a lot of people, and a lot of comedians would craft jokes about them. All of life is funny, it's what helps make even the most heartbreaking things more heartbreaking and real.
Bill, I am trying to reconcile your view here on Charlie Sheen (and retarded child or demented old man) with your view that you found Notorious repugnant because of the abuse of a female (as you saw it). Where's the difference between the latter and the former?

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #476 on: March 09, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
The fuel sensor in my car has been acting up lately, apparently it's a known issue with this model. I just found out that it's going to cost me a good $300 to fix. Meanwhile, my license plate expires Monday, and I have to get emission-tested this year before I can renew. BUT, they automatically failed the car just because the freaking check-engine light is on (because of the fuel sensor). So I won't be able to pass emissions before my plate expires, meaning I have to go buy a temporary plate from the BMV. After all this is taken care of, then I finally have the privilege of renewing my plate for another $100.

I know it's only money, but...

*whimper*

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #477 on: March 09, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »

Bill, I am trying to reconcile your view here on Charlie Sheen (and retarded child or demented old man) with your view that you found Notorious repugnant because of the abuse of a female (as you saw it). Where's the difference between the latter and the former?

In the case of Sheen, it's a guy just being himself. Maybe it will all end up being an act, but it's one man saying things that he wants to say and acting the way he wants to act. There's a master hand at play in Notorious, Hitchcock presents that relationship to us and wants us to like it, he pushes the abuse as lovely in some way. It's the hand of god factor that is the difference in my eyes.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #478 on: March 10, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »

I am applying for a nurse assistant position to help me achieve my long term goal of eating three times a day.  I have an Oregon nurse assistant license, however it is a whole process to get a New York one from that.  I have to fill out this ridiculously long piece of paper, after which I need an endorsement letter from my previous job, and a 50$ fee, AND a copy of my Oregon license.  Thing is I do not have a physical Oregon license, they do not make them anymore its all digital, so I have to send the letter to Oregon with ANOTHER 50$ processing fee so they give me a stamp that I am kosher.  Once that is done I need to report to a place twenty miles away to have my fingerprints taken.  All this done I can wait however long it takes them to process, so that I can finally start looking for the job I may or may not find.  Mind you all this bureaucracy, licensing, and regulation is for a job where you spend most of your time wiping ass.        
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
But you've got to kiss asses first.  :D