Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193747 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
I agree with Lobby.  We are in a terrible economic slump, but history dictates that it is temporary.  Do what you need to do t. o survive-- your degrees will help you in the long run, although not necessarily in the areas you studied.  Degrees teach one a higher level of thinking, which can be used in a wide variety of arenas.  You just have to be patient enough to find your particular niche.

You could go to any number of countries, not just South Korea.  You could go to any third world country, for example, get a good job and that would be a wonderful adventure.  That's pretty much what I did and it completely changed the direction of my life.

If you really want to get a job for a high school graduate, then don't tell prospective employers about your degrees or previous work.  They won't hire someone who will leave at the first possible opportunity.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
Hang in there, Bondo, you're not alone. 

Uri's in very much the same position as you (but I'm guessing he's maybe even older) - he has a B.S. in zoology and a Masters in Divinity and did well in both - and yet he's struggled for years to find a place in either field.  He's owned his own construction company (2008 hit and that went down the toilet - but he wasn't all that happy in it anyway even though he was good at it).  He's most interested right now in still trying to find something in the sciences with his B.S., but it gets more and more difficult the farther away his degree is from him and he can't build up volunteer work since he's trying to support a family, too (my job is much less than half of our income).  At this point he's working for DirecTV as an installer and doing his best to be happy and not feel like a failure.  He's not, of course - we are very secure right now with a good wage and very good benefits - but it's still difficult to see himself in a job he doesn't love and that doesn't demand the intellectual ability he has - and also to see all those years behind him and his degrees and the loans we both still have and not feel burdened. 

So - I hear you and feel for you.  And I guess I'd encourage you to find what you can now to support yourself and to just keep looking for opportunities to find work in the field you'd love to be in.  (And you don't have people to support, right?, so you're actually in a really good position to try something new like South Korea.)  At this point, Uri's still constantly looking for stuff and has some good leads - but those may not come to fruition for a few years, probably until the economy strengthens.  But what he's doing now is good work - he's not living the dream, but I think we've both learned that "the dream" is not what most people live.  Maybe that just happens in the movies. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
You could go to any number of countries, not just South Korea.  You could go to any third world country, for example, get a good job and that would be a wonderful adventure.  That's pretty much what I did and it completely changed the direction of my life.

I have a few reasons for picking South Korea, from the ease of getting around knowing only English (though I'd try to learn some Korean) to relatively higher pay than many locations that don't need specific certification in TEFL, to having a friend already there. Though admittedly I do know a bit of Spanish and have the basic grammatical/pronunciation side so just picking up more vocab would go a long way, which could argue in favor of Latin America, which also has the benefit of being closer.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #783 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
Plus, Starcraft!  ;D

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #784 on: November 14, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
he has a B.S. in zoology and a Masters in Divinity and did well in both 

Holy cow! sorry

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #785 on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
When pigs fly!

I heard somewhere that actuaries and music conductors live the longest.  :) Can't quote a source though. Tutoring math is less stressful than teaching a room full of students. It could give you an idea if you really like it that much still. Good luck Bondo.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #786 on: November 14, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
he has a B.S. in zoology and a Masters in Divinity and did well in both 

Holy cow! sorry
Heh, I know, right?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #787 on: November 14, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »

I have a few reasons for picking South Korea, from the ease of getting around knowing only English (though I'd try to learn some Korean) to relatively higher pay than many locations that don't need specific certification in TEFL, to having a friend already there. Though admittedly I do know a bit of Spanish and have the basic grammatical/pronunciation side so just picking up more vocab would go a long way, which could argue in favor of Latin America, which also has the benefit of being closer.

Perhaps I am biased, but the Korean girls are nicer.  For that fact, the boys probably are as well if I am to believe my female coworkers so you are covered on both sides.

I wouldn't look at it as leading to any type of career as much as it will be an experience that may lead to so much more.  You could start of teaching English but learn Korean and get other type of work there.  Most likely, you won't go in a career of teaching but it most likely will lead to some other life changing career.  One of the first guys I met when I was working from our Japan office years ago was a Canadian that moved there 14 years previously to teach English.  It lasted a couple of years but by that time he had learned Japanese and learned other skills and took a job in a Japanese company as well as wife and child. 

But just two last bits of advise.  First, why wait?  If you are not working now and could get the job now, just go.  Don't stop to consider and think about it too much.  I woke up one morning without a thought of trying to move overseas one day until I got to work and decided I didn't like the direction they were pushing me.  Within 3 weeks I had mostly given away a lot of my stuff, sold my car and started a new job in a new country.  I don't know, sometimes the biggest decisions should just do and not contemplate.

Second, learn to drink.  I know some good drinkers (I tend to work with a lot of sales people from many countries including Australia) but most have been shamed when they first visit there and are taken out for dinner and drinks. 

I am still hoping to visit one day, I think it is the only place that I support though not visited yet for work. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #788 on: November 14, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
First, why wait?

Getting my passport renewal and FBI background check (for visa) takes a month or two. Probably looking to start in March or something, might do a TESOL course in January so I'm more prepared.

P.S. I went to grad school and learned quite well how to drink.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #789 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
If you need the FBI background check for the visa, you'd best start right away.  Go to the FBI office and pick up the form, then go to the police station for the fingerprinting, then get it in the mail without folding, bending, spindling, or mutilating it.  Once it's sent to the FBI, it can take 3-6 months.  Be sure you read the directions on the card carefully and do everything exactly right or they simply send whole lot back to you without processing it. Good Luck. 

I'm on my third try. 
Texan Down Under

love