love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193797 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #910 on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Ditto on all the above.  Especially on the talk to your doctor part and the don't be ashamed part.

Did you know that 40% of all Americans have been diagnosed with a mental illness at some point, and have been prescribed medicine for it?  This is nothing to be ashamed of, rather it is becoming a normal part of modern life.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #911 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
You should see all the stuff my wife is on.

Definitely call your doc.  You shouldn't even have to make an appointment, it can probably be resolved over the phone.  Sounds like you might need a lower dosage.  Are you eating enough?  A lot of antidepressants kill your appetite.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #912 on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »
Yeah, don't know much about the medication part, but my friend went through something similar last year. It's important to remember that mental illness is like any other illness. Your brain is broken like your arm could be broken. These are physical problems that can be fixed. It involves a bit of the talking cure usually as well, but the meds are good things.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #913 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »
Wow, these people are all so much better than me on giving advice. (Must be my heart of stone Martin, Sam and Corey are always talking about.)

All I can add is I've always found the boards - these boards in particular - to be a nice, safe, friendly environment. We're all accepting of each other's quirks and for all the disagreement, a rather fiercely loyal bunch. When one of our members leaves we feel the loss because everyone contributes something to our unique and flavorful stew. We can even sometimes tell when one of our own is having an especially up or down day. But what's important is we do not JUDGE each other's character and we will not stand for others to do so. The Mods are especially good at keeping debate away from the personal.

So for many of us, these board make for good therapy and often it isn't related to any personal subject. You simply join in on a discussion, comment on a post or start your own idea, and what's bothering you can move to the back of the brain and continue working itself out without all that shouting for attention. Meanwhile we get to share and talk about movies, and who doesn't like to do that? Best of all, if you feel a conversation is getting too heated for you (like the recent piracy discussion did for me) you simply stop paying attention to those posts. It's not like anyone is aware that you've tuned them out.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #914 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
Wow, these people are all so much better than me on giving advice. (Must be my heart of stone Martin, Sam and Corey are always talking about.)

All I can add is I've always found the boards - these boards in particular - to be a nice, safe, friendly environment. We're all accepting of each other's quirks and for all the disagreement, a rather fiercely loyal bunch. When one of our members leaves we feel the loss because everyone contributes something to our unique and flavorful stew. We can even sometimes tell when one of our own is having an especially up or down day. But what's important is we do not JUDGE each other's character and we will not stand for others to do so. The Mods are especially good at keeping debate away from the personal.

So for many of us, these board make for good therapy and often it isn't related to any personal subject. You simply join in on a discussion, comment on a post or start your own idea, and what's bothering you can move to the back of the brain and continue working itself out without all that shouting for attention. Meanwhile we get to share and talk about movies, and who doesn't like to do that? Best of all, if you feel a conversation is getting too heated for you (like the recent piracy discussion did for me) you simply stop paying attention to those posts. It's not like anyone is aware that you've tuned them out.

This should be referenced in your signature.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #915 on: April 18, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
@Totoro: I have nothing to add to the advice you got from the others - go back to your doctor. And as others have pointed out - being on medication is neither shameful, nor unusual. And this forum is a safe spot. Let it embrace you like the darkness in a theatre. You're in company even if we don't know your name.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #916 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
I suffer from Clinical Depression too, and have, in the past taken medication for it. Unfortunately, if there is a side effect to a medication, I can be 99% sure that I am going to feel the effects of those side effects. It's good that you are attempting to treat your malady with medicines, but I would also recommend holistic treatments too. One of the causes of depression is a lack of dopamine being created in your brain. Dopamine is the thing that can create a natural high in human beings. IIRC, it is created whenever your body pumps out endorphins, as in after exercise. This is how I treat my depression symptoms now, because I really can't take meds for it. I exercise at least once a day for about an hour or two on work days, and 2-3 times a day on my days off. I'm pumping so much dopamine on my days off, I'm practically flying through my day. Another key about exercise is that it can get you outdoors, and if part of your CD is Seasonal Affective Disorder (Which I suffer from), you get enough sunshine to combat it also.

Another thing to consider is your diet. A diet which is loaded with simple carbohydrates and sugar can also trigger depressive moments because of the amount of insulin released by your pancreas to fight the high glycogen levels in your bloodstream. You'll start to crash and burn repeatedly throughout your day, and this roller coaster effect can exacerbate depressive feelings.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #917 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
I don't have anything practically useful to add - just want you to know I'll be thinking of you, Totoro, and I want to join the other voices here in support of you. We're with you, as much as that is possible!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #918 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Hey T we've had some grumpy conversations, but I think you can feel the support here which I echo.

When reviewing Melancholia oldkid and myself were talking around this subject. Being English and repressed (it's compulsory) my own manic depressive feelings weren't ever discussed or diagnosed, apart from the standard "pull yourself together" or "cheer up" lines (we're an awkward bunch).

The sort of up and down feeling Antares was mentioning is something that with age I have come to recognise, and take account of. I don't think it was ever bad enough for medication, but something i had to keep in mind because being too manic is as harmful as being depressed in some ways. SAD is also something I experienced which is difficult in a wet miserable country (when it used to rain here, doesn't anymore- now we have drought in April).

I don't say this to diminish from the experience you are going through. Just to say it is common even in a small population like this forum.

Also it's a sign of intelligence!! Smart people can see the downside more easily, it's easy to be optimistic when you can't imagine the pitfalls.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #919 on: April 18, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
It takes smarts to imagine the pitfalls and ignore them, too. Not all of us optimists are dummies.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”