love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 92912 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #970 on: September 01, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
It is so hard to lose a loved one suddenly.  The same thing happened to one of my grandparents, the one I was closest to.  Be at peace.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #971 on: September 01, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
Sorry to hear, Bondo. Always tough.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #972 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Sad to hear this Bondo. Take care.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #973 on: November 23, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
I had to do an essay for a module of mine about Modern Europe, and the question I picked to do it on was the Cold War entitled "Why Did the Cold War last as long as it did?". I thought it would be interesting to look at presidential elections and transfers of power between Russian leaders and why that kept passing power over to Cold War hawks or at least people who couldn't . However, I was worried that wouldn't quite fly with my tutor (who grades the essays), so I asked her if I could focus on that one particular area of the Cold War and politics of the Cold War and she said I could, that I just need to make it explicit that I was focusing on that one area. So I wrote that essay, making sure I spelled out what I was looking at, and that I was focusing on a particular area. 

I ended up getting a D-, and the main reason for it was because "While the role of leaders in the US and Russia are a contributing factor to the length of the Cold War, it is not the only factor. In order to analyse the essay question to its full potential, you need to address a number of other issues, such as politics (esp post WWII), economies (eg Marshall Plan) the Communist-Capitalist division/tension, nuclear arms race, space race, and economics - one reason is not really sufficient." The essay is worth 40% of my final grade for this module.

I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #974 on: November 23, 2012, 07:35:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can talk to her referring to what she earlier had said to you and see if she can change her mind about the grade.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #975 on: November 23, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »
How long was the essay meant to be? Hard to picture usefully addressing all those topics unless it was quite substantial.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #976 on: November 23, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
How long was the essay meant to be? Hard to picture usefully addressing all those topics unless it was quite substantial.
Yeah, no kidding.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #977 on: November 23, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »

About 1,500 words. We were just meant to go over all the reasons, not really go deeply into them.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #978 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
I don't like this marker one bit. Clearly a total dud.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #979 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that 'Noke. :( I don't know if this is helpful, but your tutor's need for power/control is strong. If you approached her in an apologetic/submissive manner like, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to communicate with you better," or "I'm sorry I misunderstood... but wonder if there was something I could do to make it right." Acknowledging her power over you and giving her the opening to bestow her benevolence could work.

I don't like playing that game, but when it comes to a grade, a little acting might be called for.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:35:24 AM by Sandy »

love