love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193728 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #1000 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »
Thank you all.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1001 on: January 02, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend ses.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1002 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
Thank you Sandy.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1003 on: January 04, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
thats terrible ses, so sorry :'(

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1004 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
I'm not quite sure where better to put this, though I feel it doesn't truly belong here. It is not so much a whimper as it is a dilemma and more of a bind and tough decision(s). But I know I can always trust the Filmspotters out there to at least listen.

As some of you know, I began my first "grown up" job back last February. I love it. The company I work for is great, and the people I work with are great. I love my boss. My position has been some what of a hybrid one. Speaking in generalizations that are specific enough to understand the situation, I work for a software company. I am currently in a group that helps educate the customer on how to generically use the product. But I was hired on to be an on site consultant, meeting with customers, learning their business, and how they should use the software based on their business. So in recent months, I have been travelling quite a bit, and being on the road for whole weeks. I knew this was the goal for my role in the company when I was hired.

I am open minded and wanted to give it a shot and see if I would take to it, even though I had my apprehensions before I started the travelling. I love seeing new places and meeting new people. I am very amiable and make friends quickly; I am not shy about talking to strangers. I am young and unattached (no girlfriend, still live at home - which is another thing, I want to move out, but since I travel so much it doesn't make much financial sense to pay for an apartment when I am only going to be there half the time). These are things that make me a pretty good fit for the job. However, I am a very passionate person, and I am not passionate about this new role I have started to evolve in to. Part of it is the job itself, of which I lack any real confidence. But a lot of it also has to do with the travel. I love my family and friends and being gone all week is tough on my social life. Being single leaves me unattached, but a travelling career may also leave me that way, which is the complete opposite of what I want out of life. I work to live; I am not a workaholic and do not live to work. I have also felt very strung out, stressed and over extended with my feet in both rings at the same time. I find it difficult to get the work done I need to get done in either area since I basically have two jobs now. This is no fun.

As my transition moves forward, I obviously intend to talk to my boss about my future and my feelings on the situation, it is the only logical step. But there is another wrinkle as the company is reorganizing slightly, and the generic education side of things, the side I much prefer and very much enjoy, is falling under new management, completely separate from the other, consulting side. So where it could have been easy to just tell my boss that I prefer to stay on this side of things, now it gets somewhat complicated with the unknown of the reorganization and what would be a new boss if I leave consulting. I am standing on the rope bridge over the middle of a gorge with people cutting from either side. From a fundamental perspective, I am struggling to decide which side I run to, with the thought in the back of my mind that either choice I make, I may still not make it end of the bridge before it gets cut. I don't know if I stay in consulting if I will ever grow to like it, and I don't know anything about what could happen if I stay in education with the uncertainty of the reorganization.

Oh, and my friends and I have started a serious discussion about moving out west somewhere we would be closer to awesome national parks and mountains and such things. The great thing about my job is I can do it remotely when I am not travelling for it, but this discussion just seems to have added pressure to my ultimate decision, even if it doesn't really affect it from a job choice perspective. Deciding to make such a huge life choice, which also seems to go against the whole being away from family and friends qualm, can be stressful. I am very unsure of my future and a lot of it has to do with not quite knowing what I want I suppose.

I'm 24 and at the point in my life where I have the ability to make these huge decisions without too much affect, save the future. But it is definitely difficult finding the right conclusions that will make me happy, which is my main #1 goal.

Thanks for letting me air my thoughts and for any potential advice or thoughtful things you can send my way,
Adam

P.S. And yes, I did just watch Up in the Air to try and find the answers lol. I am a movie buff after all. I am definitely leaning toward one way over the other (towards education), but I also feel I do not want to disappoint my current boss and what she had in mind/expected from me (even though I know this is about me and my future and I shouldn't think about it that way).
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1005 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
In a sense you have a "good" problem.  This is a conflict in the midst of a pretty good space.  You are getting some professional experience and heading toward settling in to a relatively successful life.

Even though the current job is a bit uncomfy, I would keep at it for a bit to see what materializes in the transition.  You may not want the job long term, but you can change later, and in the meantime you are making good contacts that could help you in the long term.  To remain in a position for at least a year shows stability and asking for a shift after that shows that you want to move up (or at least that you aren't interested in being a Clooney kinda guy). 

On the other hand, it can't hurt to discuss your options with your boss.  Just to see what those options might be, whether you want to make a move now or not.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1006 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »
A few things to consider... Usually I tell an employee that just took a job if they come wanting to switch that there is an expectation that they stay for at least a year to 18 months.  Tough too suddenly change for the boss when it takes time to find a suitable person for the job.

I am biased towards the travel.  It has allowed me to see a lot, learn to deal with people from many countries, learn differences in culture and form a lot of new relationships on top of the friends that I always have. 

Sometimes I do miss a lot of things going on "back home" if I am gone for extended periods which a few times has been months at a time. But the things I miss are just different from the things I experience.

I can't say it ever hurt my social life.  As a pretty anti-social person most of my life, it did mostly the opposite.  My social life expanded in ways I never imagined vs if I had stayed in a local job and hanging around the same group of friends I always hang out with.  I probably would have never grown out in the way I have.

Anyway... you are in a lucky position it seems.  I sometimes try to tell people don't worry about being over passionate about what you are doing now.  It still offers a lot of changes to learn and grow and give a means for those things that you are passionate about which are hopefully outside of work.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1007 on: January 15, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
To some degree, if you've proven yourself an excellent employee, a company will want to work with you to find a position (fill a need they have) that will suit you, because they don't want to lose good employees who are trained in.

After six months in my job, I've just transitioned into a new position (a move that no one at this company would consider rushed). For me, the dual considerations in terms of long-term are location, what is it worth to try to get back to Colorado nearer my family, and perhaps more immediate, whether I think I can keep working overnights in a longer term. I expect I've averaged five hours of sleep the past six months. It greatly abridges many social opportunities (though I have a great group of overnight shift friends).

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1008 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
Not a good week.

Last week my phone was stolen. 

Today my computer was stolen.

:P

Lost some of my writings, all of my account records, all the pictures I edited. 

Don't know how often I'll be able to get on until I get a new computer.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:49:21 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1009 on: January 16, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
Today my computer was stolen.

:P

Oh No!. One of my biggest fears. It makes me bend over in pain, as if you said "Today I lost an appendage." I seriously hope it just magically turns up. Or someone finds your contact info on the computer and reaches you.