love

Author Topic: I just need to whimper  (Read 193807 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: I just need to whimper
« Reply #1380 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »
I just got the best haircut of my life.

Why whimper?

I'll never be back in Chicago!
Texan Down Under

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1381 on: August 06, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
Reminds me of the baguette and cheese I ate while walking through Paris.

Never again.  :'(

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1382 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
I want to go back to Japan just so i can have some grilled chicken and mugi meshi at Nagashi Cow Tongue.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1383 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
The chocolate mochi balls in the Tokyo subway...

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1384 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
as my business group is being sold off to another company we are all preparing for the separation which is a lot of projects.  Seems as soon as we get through one, I get pulled into another and they all have daily status calls in my night... Sometimes just have to remind myself it still is a good problem to have
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1385 on: August 15, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
Another thirty minutes of CPR today. Managed to bring the lady back, but she died pretty much the moment we handed her off to the ER. What I'm venting about this time is the people who can't seem to understand that certain people handle this stuff in certain ways. Had a nurse tell me I was inhuman because minutes later I was in the EMS room drinking a soda and joking around with some guys from another department. I get that the lady died, and that it sucks anytime anyone in our care or around us dies. But, I can't let the death get to me, because if I do I can't do my job and I can't move on to the next call. That doesn't mean I'm inhuman or that I don't have feelings, but I compartmentalize and move on because that's what my job requires and my next patient would be in trouble if I were still lingering on the last patient who died.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1386 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
I would think a nurse would understand better than most, the need to decompress. Sorry she added to your already difficult day.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1387 on: August 15, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
We don't have room in our lives to judge people under serious stress.  Stay strong, Bill.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1388 on: August 16, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Another thirty minutes of CPR today. Managed to bring the lady back, but she died pretty much the moment we handed her off to the ER. What I'm venting about this time is the people who can't seem to understand that certain people handle this stuff in certain ways. Had a nurse tell me I was inhuman because minutes later I was in the EMS room drinking a soda and joking around with some guys from another department. I get that the lady died, and that it sucks anytime anyone in our care or around us dies. But, I can't let the death get to me, because if I do I can't do my job and I can't move on to the next call. That doesn't mean I'm inhuman or that I don't have feelings, but I compartmentalize and move on because that's what my job requires and my next patient would be in trouble if I were still lingering on the last patient who died.

My mum was a nurse and mostly worked intensive care baby ward so she was often emotionally effected by these kind of things.  But your reaction seems to be the proper approach and for most part what I figured most doctors were like.  Curious, how did you react to the nurse?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1389 on: August 17, 2014, 08:08:50 AM »
To be honest I'm not a big fan of nurses, so I've developed the tact over the years of nodding and moving on whenever they say anything, positive or negative. I know not all nurses are bad, but the overwhelming majority I've dealt with have been, and I steer clear as a result