Author Topic: Chat Commenting  (Read 15069 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Chat Commenting
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:38:12 AM »
When you gather in chat for informal talk, anything is fair.

However, when you gather in chat for a forum member's celebration of some contest/Top 100/awards that he or she has been good enough to conduct for the board and put together for all of us, keep your comments positive and respectful.  Only those few of you who have put together these projects and the chat that follows know how much work goes into the project.  For the rest of us to sign into chat and post criticisms and negativity is simply not acceptable.

If, after chat, you've got comments for the thread, that's fine; but during the announcements in chat, be positive or sign out of chat please.
Texan Down Under

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Chat Commenting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
I believe I know what you are referring to, but I would like clarification about groaning and saying something negative about a film in some contest/Top 100/awards if we feel it deserves to be higher or lower on the list.  I agree there is nothing negative to say about the process/time/work involved, but we can be negative about our #1 appearing too low or not making the list, right?

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
I'll admit I was negative towards some of the placements, but they were more annoyances. If I said anything bad about the process, which I don't think I did, I apologise. Bill did an amazing job and I thank him sincerly for all the hard work he put into it.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
I'm speaking the more specific, consistent negativity as announcements are made.  Keep it cool; respect the process.  Posting your feelings about positions is fine.  We have no problem with that.

By the way, Bill's chat was the most recent, but this has been ongoing in the Filmspots and other contest/Top100 projects too.

It's just something to think about.  As said, it's a lot of work to put these together and with the negativity, it can seem like a completely thankless task.  We want filmspotters to continue to volunteer for these sorts of projects, so we have to think about this when posting in chat.

Thanks everyone!  You're a great group of filmspotters!
Texan Down Under

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Chat FILMSPOTTER!ing
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
what's the deal with "FILMSPOTTER!" coming up everywhere - like in the title of this thread?  other peeps seeing this?

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Chat FILMSPOTTER!ing
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
what's the deal with "FILMSPOTTER!" coming up everywhere - like in the title of this thread?  other peeps seeing this?

Pilot error...
Texan Down Under

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
It is because the word "comment" is a rude word that should be avoided! lol
To answer your question Keith, yes you are not the only one seeing things. I thought this thread had suddenly become a lot more interesting......
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
Rules are a drag, man (Dennis Hopper voice). However, it might be useful if the more experienced forumers (forumistas?) could agree and post a simple set of guidelines for newcomers. I'm sure no one wants to be a fascist about it, but a few gentle hints as to how to conduct oneself would actually make a newbie feel more comfortable- I think people coming in are conscious of not stepping on others toes. The subject of this post is a case in point but there must be other offputting things like not promoting Wes Anderson as a good director (oh sorry that's just me).

And I agree Filmspotters rule!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
This thread is an excellent starting point.

We really don't have a lot of rules.  Be respectful of others and keep extreme profanity and nudity out of your posts. (though you can label posts NSFW and post links)

Remember, there are lots of opinions around here different from your own and be aware that posters come in all shapes, sizes, and age groups, religious groups, and ethnic groups.

The first post of this thread covers Chat expectations.

Texan Down Under

love