Author Topic: Slit my Wrists with an Animation Cel Marathon  (Read 1997 times)

Mumford67

Slit my Wrists with an Animation Cel Marathon
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »
Sorry for the somewhat dramatic title of this post, but does anyone else here think that it may become necessary to prescribe prozac during the first four weeks of the animation marathon?

The first four films, while artistically sound, are relentlessly bleak works.  It seems to me that perhaps a break from the standard chronological progression of the marathons might be called for.  Especially after watching Watership and Fireflies, it might help to watch something a little less somber in tone the following week.  Anyway, I'm not sure watching these in chronological order would really serve any real purpose.

I'd like to suggest arranging the marathon in the following order:

Watership Down
Grave of the Fireflies
The Iron Giant
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Spirited Away

It would make the marathon easier to swallow, especially for people with little exposure to anime.

What do you guys think?  

-Mumford
Mumford, the All Purpose Nothing

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »
I loved Ted Hughes' Iron Man as a kid, so I'm really not keen on seeing the Iron 'Vin diesel' Giant.

Has the Adamandsam not seen Watership Down yet?

Mumford67

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"
I loved Ted Hughes' Iron Man as a kid, so I'm really not keen on seeing the Iron 'Vin diesel' Giant.

Has the Adamandsam not seen Watership Down yet?

In re: The Iron Giant.  While I'm not so familiar with Hughes' book, I do love the movie.  If you can watch it not trying to see Hughes' book on screen but a very loose adaptation, you will find that it is deserving of all of the accolades it has received.  It really is the best animated film of the past 20 years.

As for Vin Diesel, let me put it this way.  One word from Vin Diesel's lips made me bawl more than any other film since Empire of the Sun.  His voice work as the Giant is fantastic,  Best of all is Christopher MacDonald's voice work as Kent Mansley. Its genius, and I probably imitate him more than any other character from any other movie with the possible exception of George Bailey.

As for Watership Down, I'm under the impression that the only marathon film they have seen is Spirited Away (well, Sam did).  I don't think they have any idea whats in store.
Mumford, the All Purpose Nothing

love