Author Topic: 1SO Rebuilds His Top 100 of All Time  (Read 235212 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: 1SO Rebuilds His Top 100 of All Time
« Reply #1070 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
It's a tough task, assigning personal value to art.   But somebody's got to do it.   Even if no one really cares, or that you'll be changing the list sometime in the next twenty movies you watch.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1071 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
I've been surprised by how rarely my next film goes into the top spot. A lot of these films I haven't seen in a good long time (though that's becoming less the norm as I go up). Interesting to see how my tastes and perspective have changed.

As for me not sounding that crazy, part of it is marathon fatigue I admit. It's difficult to explain why I love a film above the thousands that I've seen and it feels even more difficult when most of these are highly-respected titles. Like sdedalus who doesn't have these on his list but finds them "perfectly good".

So while I'm excited to rewatch Day of the Jackal, what can I possibly say about Toy Story 2 that anyone else here would be interested in reading? I'm sure it surprises nobody that it's going into the list. At this point, reading me talk about Pixar is like listening to FroHam talk about... Pixar. or Chris Nolan. or Shutter Island.

Thinking back on recent viewings, I was mad-dog delighted by Se7en, The Terminator and L.A. Confidential. But these titles preach to the choir and frustrate those of you who think they're overrated. It's easier to sway opinion on less concrete titles like Ninth Configuration or They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1072 on: March 24, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »
Day of the Jackal is great! Nobody ever talks about that movie. Not sure it's a Top 100 movie, or even quite close to that, but man, great movie.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #1073 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Seems like you're in the portion of the marathon wherein you watch a whole bunch of films I think are perfectly good but aren't anywhere near my Top 100 Films of All-Time.

I think the weird part is that sometimes 1SO himself doesn't sound that crazy about them, but he puts them in his top 100 anyway.

When I first joined this forum I posted my top 100, but I was pretty much going arbitrarily off my Criticker scores.  The other day I tried actually putting some effort into ranking my top 100, and found it extremely difficult.  Doing "director's best" lists is fairly easy and all the various "top 5" lists I just treat as a fun exercise.  But when it comes down to "these are my 100 favorite films, and the order in which I prefer them", it's not only very tough but feels kinda pointless. 

I find limiting a list of the best movies I've seen ever to only 100 is ridiculously hard.  It's why last year I had a Top 600.  With a director, there's usually no more than a dozen titles, maybe up to 30-40 for someone like Hitchcock or Ford or Kurosawa, but those guys are rare.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #1074 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
Day of the Jackal is great! Nobody ever talks about that movie. Not sure it's a Top 100 movie, or even quite close to that, but man, great movie.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see this appear on "Next Up" and I'm really looking forward to reading how it holds up for you, 1SO.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1075 on: March 24, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »

As for me not sounding that crazy, part of it is marathon fatigue I admit. It's difficult to explain why I love a film above the thousands that I've seen and it feels even more difficult when most of these are highly-respected titles. Like sdedalus who doesn't have these on his list but finds them "perfectly good".

So while I'm excited to rewatch Day of the Jackal, what can I possibly say about Toy Story 2 that anyone else here would be interested in reading?
Yea, that is part of the daunting aspect of reviewing films you love, especially the well-known ones. I watch a lot of my favorites and every time I watch one, I want to write about it but I find it hard to put into words something I feel is worth of expressing why I love the film and isn't simply retreading ground already covered by others.

And these epic marathons are rather tiring. I just finished up mine and while I liked some of the films I saw later in the marathon, I found myself resenting them more as the marathon went on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO Rebuilds His Top 100 of All Time - Toy Story 2/Singin' in the Rain
« Reply #1076 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
Marathon Update

Toy Story 2
Woody once risked his life to save mine, and I couldn't call myself his friend if I wasn't willing to do the same.

I said this morning, I haven't a clue what I can tell you here that would be worthwhile. I've watched Toy Story 2 at least 3 times a year. It'll go into my DVD player at the drop of a hat. I like how this continues/expands the adventures of Andy's toys. The quality of the animation is leaps and bounds better than the original, and they let you know it right from the Buzz Lightyear video game opening. It's not as funny or as heartfelt as TS1, but it comes real close. Some of the pop culture references feel dated after a while, but I still laugh when Slink is in a dog carrier and has to pretend to bark. I enjoyed how the finale here is played much more for laughs and adventure than the climax of TS3. And Stinky Pete... SPOILER ALERT he's the best villain of the series.

Still great. Always great. It fits nicely in my Top 50.

Singin' in the Rain
Dignity. Always, dignity.

This was kind of disappointing. There are 5 or 6 musical numbers that still rank among the greatest cinema I've seen. If you haven't seen Gene Kelly dance, you owe it to yourself to marvel at his graceful athleticism. You feel that Fred Astaire could spin you safely around a dance floor, but hoofing with Kelly is like playing basketball in the 90's against Michael Jordan.

Off the dance floor, everything's very stiff and overly broad. This isn't Kelly at his hammiest, but it's there and it's infectious. The rest of the cast is equally equipped to showboat. There's a lengthy musical number that doesn't feature the cast and it's deadly dull, as is the Broadway Melody. Far too long a sequence. This type of show stopper played much better when it was the climax of An American in Paris.

Taken in its entirety I can't put Singin' in the Rain in my Top 100, but it'll hang just outside in the on-deck circle.

For my current rankings Click Here.

Next Up:
Bonnie and Clyde
Charade
Dangerous Liaisons
The Day of the Jackal
Sunset Blvd.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:22:03 PM by 1SO »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1077 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
The last 20 minutes of Singin in the Rain takes the movie from Top 50 to maybe Top 300 for me.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1078 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
Yea, that one musical number is far too long.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1079 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »
The whole movie take it to Top 2 for me.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love