love

Author Topic: 1SO Rebuilds His Top 100 of All Time  (Read 235229 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 1SO Rebuilds His Top 100 of All Time
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »
I can't imagine Rossellini as cold.

I can't, either.  Just to clarify, Umberto D. isn't a cold film but I was (cold, that is) while watching it thus me describing my viewing as such.  My mind knows the situation is sad but I didn't have any emotional-visceral reaction to what I was watching.

I haven't seen Umberto D., but you're pretty much describing how I feel about Bicycle Thieves.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 06:06:29 AM »
Any chance you'll get through this marathon and decide looking back at the 00s marathon that you should have more 00s films in your top-100 overall? Because everyone should have more 00s movies in their top-100. :)

I remember stating last year that my next Top 100 would have far fewer films from the 00's but there is a good chance this year's list will have more!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »
Where's Only Angels Have Wings?

Unfaithfully Yours is on my list, as are a number of the other bold titles.
I just watched Only Angels a couple of months ago, before it started getting the Top 100 push.  (I'll watch anything with Cary Grant).  I liked it.  Really liked the suspenseful opening sequence, but it never struck me as Top 100 material.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
My list of my favorite movies of all time is a sham, hopelessly out of date with titles I haven't revisited in many years.  (The Big Easy, anyone?)  Throughout the year I've been compiling a list of titles from IMDB, icheckmovies and other Filmspotter Top Films of All Time lists.  
. . .

This marathon will happen in 3 sections.  
First up will be 25 films I've never seen.  Organized in the order I think I will enjoy them, these titles are in Bold.
After that are 5 Classics I didn't care for, but watched over 10 years ago.  These titles are Italicized.
Then I will get into my main list.

Everything will be ranked along the way, just like my last two marathons.  This is a long term project, and I won't finish before the Top 100 ballots are due, but we'll see how far I get.
Jumping in a bit late here, but just wanted to say that I think this is a great project, 1SO - one I wish I had more time/energy to do myself with my own top 100. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on lots of these - Harlan County, USA and The Red Shoes are two standouts.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »

12 Angry Men

The 400 Blows
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Airplane
Alien

Aliens
Babe
Back to the Future
Barry Lyndon
Beauty and the Beast
The Birds
The Blues Brothers

Body Heat
Bonnie and Clyde
Brazil
The Breakfast Club
Casablanca
Citizen Kane

City of God
A Clockwork Orange

Close Encounters
Dances with Wolves
Dawn of the Dead
Die Hard
Do the Right Thing

Dog Day Afternoon
E.T.
The Elephant Man
Erin Brockovich
Fight Club
Finding Nemo
For A Few Dollars More
Forrest Gump
The Godfather

The Godfather Part II
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Goodfellas

The Graduate
Grave of the Fireflies
Halloween
Hard-Boiled
The Incredibles
Jaws
L.A. Confidential
Lethal Weapon
Life of Brian
M
The Manchurian Candidate
Manhattan

Mary Poppins
The Matrix

McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Mean Streets
Memento
Night of the Living Dead
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Notorious
Once Upon A Time in the West

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Platoon
Pom Poko
The Princess Bride
Pulp Fiction
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Requiem For a Dream
Schindler’s List
Seven
The Seven Samurai

The Silence of the Lambs
Singin’ in the Rain

Stalag 17
Strangers on a Train

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Sunset Blvd.
The Terminator
Terminator 2

The Third Man
Toy Story 2
True Romance
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

All the ones I've seen. Ones in bold are in my top 100. So they're probably the best. :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:50:01 PM by Beavermoose »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
Ones in bold are currently in my Top 100 as well.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 01:45:31 AM »
I like this trend of reviewing movies we really like.  It's good to be upbeat about movies, to remind us that we like movies.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
I like this trend of reviewing movies we really like.  It's good to be upbeat about movies, to remind us that we like movies.

Totally, that's why I have my Great Directors Marathon. I had too much riff-raff in my 200X marathon.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »
To counter that good cheer, I know a few of my selections and their high rank on my lists do raise some heated debate now and again.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
The Marathon Begins

Umberto D.

Corndog already said what I'm about to.  (Even while searching for my own favorite non-spoilery image, I chose the same.)  I prefer my movies to be highly stylizied, and have barely scratched the surface of Italian Neo-Realism.  The Bicycle Thief is the classic example of the sub genre.  I think of it as being the best example possible, much as someone might talk about the best kung-fu film.  Even the finest would probably not crack a list of the All Time Top 100.

For most of Umberto D. I was appreciative of the way director Vittorio De Sica creates reality.  The dialogue, the visuals all create a very believable reality and what kept me from being bored was this window into a world I know incredibly little about.  Then it slowly started to dawn on me that I'd seen this type of film before.

I didn't find Umberto D. anywhere near as powerful or as well acted, or as realistic as Wendy And Lucy. Umberto is a good film, but not on Wendy And Lucy's level.
It's often a challenge to hold a modern film up as superior to classic cinema, but I'm with DOOM!!! on this.  While I usually prefer the classic, and the two films are honestly apples and... well pears, I was much more emotionally invested in Wendy's plight.  I felt like more of an observer into the world of Umberto, which I'm certain has more to do with the time period and the different culture than with the filmmaking.  

Like with The Bicycle Thief (and the recent Man Push Cart) the Neo-realism gives way to some intensely powerful drama in the final stretch.  For all the talk about being an observer, Umberto D. really got great at the end.  (Even the framings were more stylized, the editing a bit more frenetic.)  Not great enough to make my Top 100, but I ended up liking the film a whole lot more because of it.

Next Up:
A Man Escaped
Brief Encounter
Wise Blood
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:13:50 PM by 1SO »

love