love

Author Topic: Silent Movie Marathon?  (Read 10671 times)

Osprey

Re: Silent Movie Marathon?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 11:50:14 PM »
I'm waiting for Birth of a Nation to arrive so I can watch it. Some silent films are still artistically interesting and they still work as a narrative, for example lots of Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Metropolis etc...  It'll be interesting to see if Birth of a Nation is solely worth watching out of historical interest, or whether it in fact still works. Given the notoriety of Birth of a Nation, I hope the guys plan to have a discussion about (potentially) great works of art that have something repugnant or possibly evil about them-  lots of examples in art- Wagner, Dickens, Twain, I would guess the most famous film example other than Birth of a Nation would be Triumph of the Will which is something of a masterpiece of propaganda. 

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »
I think that a big part of what makes Birth Of A Nation so evil is just how well it works as a narrative, even now.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

PulpAffliction

• You think you drive me crazy.
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 07:22:47 AM »
Yeah, it's an unfortunately great piece of film.... That's an odd sentance. We watched it in my AP american history class, and the teacher was the only one who seemed to understand what I meant by it being a "technically" great film... everyone else just thought I was racist.

Pulpfictionfanatic

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
it will be an interesting/enjoyable discussion to listen to. i know how angry and simple-minded i must sound, but in my opinion, saying that this is technically a great movie is like saying that Hitler was technically a great leader.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:14:17 PM by Pulpfictionfanatic »

PulpAffliction

• You think you drive me crazy.
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »
Here's where I get myself into trouble:

Hitler was a "technically" great leader who GREATLY abused his power. Don't get me wrong, my family's half Jewish, I have ancestors who died in the holocaust; Hitler was HORRIBLE, but he knew how to lead.

"Birth of a Nation" is a horribly racist, black-face piece of trash which was unfortunately made by a man whose technical mastery was superior to his peers.

Both Hitler and Griffith's film are, at their core, evil entities, but the mastery with which each performed its evil deeds was, quite unfortunately, unmatched.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
I'm just curious how everyone is getting their hands on Sunrise. Any help would be appreciated.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 02:39:55 PM »
Amazon.co.uk  a fabulous set.

Used from amazon.  But if you're unable to play region 2 discs (which you really shouldn't be, most every DVD player is region free, you just have to enter a simple code to unlock it).
Or you could rent it from greencine.com.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

alexander

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »
Hey guys... Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... Metropolis!

Jimblackblack

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »
Considering that the stated purpose of these marathons is for Adam and Sam (as well as their audience) to be exposed to the best/most representative works in an unfamiliar genre, I think that the list of films in the silent marathon is a very good one.  I personally can't wait to hear their reaction to the Passion of Joan of Arc. 

My question is WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MARATHON?  It seems to be put on hold to squeeze in reviews of some lackluster/predictable movies (ANOTHER Will Ferrel sports comedy?).

It’s just my own personal view, and there may be thousands of people breathlessly waiting for these films to hit their local metroplex.  After all, I’m the guy who thought either Millennium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers should have replaced Ghost in the Shell (especially with the gawdawful dubbing in the English only version I saw) in the anime marathon.

Anyway, why should I be grumpy?  It’s opening day in San Francisco!

Thanks,

Jim Black

Jim Black

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2007, 09:37:04 PM »
I'm just curious how everyone is getting their hands on Sunrise. Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5745352
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

love