Poll

Which one of the following could you live without?

My Cell Phone
30 (78.9%)
The Internet
2 (5.3%)
Movies
3 (7.9%)
My Spouse (or self-satisfaction)
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: If I Had To, I Would Give Up...  (Read 13299 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: If I Had To, I Would Give Up...
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
I refuse to answer this poll.

They will have to pry all of the choices from my cold, dead, hairy palms. :D
Hey, nice marmot!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
The obvious needs to be stated: zero people said "spouse" and no one said "movies". 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
If you gave me a week or so to sort some things out I'd be happy to give up the internet.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Pseuds

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 07:00:12 AM »
If you gave me a week or so to sort some things out I'd be happy to give up the internet.

I don't think I could handle the trauma of dealing with a bank in person anymore.
He made me feel like a third class witch doctor.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »

I agree with 'Noke. I am in no way shape or form connected with the use of the internet. I would much rather be able to communicate with people via the cell phone than be able to surf the net. There are books, there are movies, there are magazines, news programs on tv. Internet is a nice luxury, but I could give it up. Well, I would have to make an exception: I would have to use it to write papers for school probably. I don't know. I could give it all up to make a point though too.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Cell phone, for sure. I rarely use mine.

I agree with 'Noke. I am in no way shape or form connected with the use of the internet. I would much rather be able to communicate with people via the cell phone than be able to surf the net. There are books, there are movies, there are magazines, news programs on tv. Internet is a nice luxury, but I could give it up. Well, I would have to make an exception: I would have to use it to write papers for school probably. I don't know. I could give it all up to make a point though too.
While there is a lot I do online that is "unnecessary," I don't think of the internet as a luxury anymore - my communications with colleagues, students, family and friends are almost exclusively dependent on the internet (and people expect to be able to contact me that way, too - it's not just my expectation on them). The internet is also my primary source of information - news or otherwise. Much/most of my banking, shopping is online, too. And, as Uri's been looking for work - his job search and application/resume submissions have all been online (most of these jobs are available to be viewed and applied for only online).

I was just talking on the phone with a friend from CA the other day (a friend whom I haven't talked to for at least a year); we used to write each other long, hand-written letters, and we were getting rather nostalgic about those days - there is something beautifully physical about sitting down, putting a pen to paper, folding the paper, putting it in an envelope, and taking the envelope out to the mailbox. But I just don't write letters anymore - my friend and I have mostly quick exchanges over email or Facebook - our time is so limited; even phone calls are difficult - we were interrupted several times in our conversation by our children. The truth is, if not for the internet, we'd probably have contact with one another once or twice a year . . .  at best.

Anyway, I don't think giving up the internet is in any way practical for me; i just need to be more disciplined about my time on it. Starting now someday.  :-\

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »
Cell Phone or Internet. No way I would give up movies and, as Woody said, "Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone you love."
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
Having said that, the internet and wanking are inextricably linked, surely?

So..... cell phone, then.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
I can't even imagine life without the internet at this point. Aside from how tied into it I am for work and entertainment, it's such a massively useful tool...and not only in the shallow "I'm lazy!" way. For learning / research purposes, news, and communication, there is no equal out there. When I don't have internet access available to me, I really do feel cut off. But not really in the "geek" sense. Once you're used to having all that information available to you, it's hard not to. Not being able to look up the answer to a question or find information on a point of interest really bugs me. :)

So yeah, cell phone is the obvious answer. For me, it's a purely practical tool, and not one I enjoy.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
I was just talking on the phone with a friend from CA the other day (a friend whom I haven't talked to for at least a year); we used to write each other long, hand-written letters, and we were getting rather nostalgic about those days - there is something beautifully physical about sitting down, putting a pen to paper, folding the paper, putting it in an envelope, and taking the envelope out to the mailbox.

I'm getting ready to write put some letters and send 'em to a few different friends. Funny you mentioned it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."