Poll

Which one of the following could you live without?

My Cell Phone
30 (78.9%)
The Internet
2 (5.3%)
Movies
3 (7.9%)
My Spouse (or self-satisfaction)
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: If I Had To, I Would Give Up...  (Read 13289 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: If I Had To, I Would Give Up...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
I was just talking on the phone with a friend from CA the other day (a friend whom I haven't talked to for at least a year); we used to write each other long, hand-written letters, and we were getting rather nostalgic about those days - there is something beautifully physical about sitting down, putting a pen to paper, folding the paper, putting it in an envelope, and taking the envelope out to the mailbox.

I'm getting ready to write put some letters and send 'em to a few different friends. Funny you mentioned it.
You're so retro, CD. :)

(If I didn't have small children at home, I probably would, actually, sit down and write real letters once in a while.)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
I was just talking on the phone with a friend from CA the other day (a friend whom I haven't talked to for at least a year); we used to write each other long, hand-written letters, and we were getting rather nostalgic about those days - there is something beautifully physical about sitting down, putting a pen to paper, folding the paper, putting it in an envelope, and taking the envelope out to the mailbox.

I'm getting ready to write put some letters and send 'em to a few different friends. Funny you mentioned it.

(If I didn't have small children at home, I probably would, actually, sit down and write real letters once in a while.)

I try and take the time to hand write thank you notes to friends and colleagues at work.
Hey, nice marmot!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »

I try and take the time to hand write thank you notes to friends and colleagues at work.
Thank-you notes are definitely an exception! An email thank-you is just tacky.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 05:52:20 AM »
Having said that, the internet and wanking are inextricably linked, surely?

So..... cell phone, then.

Yes, they go hand in hand  ;D

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
Cell phone. I have nobody to call.

Not to mention that the Internet already provides all my social needs, including the 'self-satisfaction'.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:49:20 PM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
Right now I gotta say I'd rather give up movies than my cell phone. I hardly ever watch movies these days, but I use my phone like 1000 times a day. And to think that 3 years ago I didn't even own one.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »
I voted movies as well. It's a close call with cellphone, but there are plenty of other great things to get passionate about and giving up cellphones pretty much means giving up phones in general at this point, and that just seems way too impractical.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 05:51:44 PM »
I'd have no marriage if it was not for the phone.. though I would have never started dating my wife if it was not for both our love of movies...

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
My mobile phone, sniff, I will miss you.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 11:28:14 PM »
I'm living it right now, movies and it blows :(
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"