Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists  (Read 48393 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »
Great stuff!

Duvall in The Shining is good, but not as good as her other great roles (Three Women!)

What did it for Belushi in The Blues Brothers? Taking his sunglasses off? "I hate Illinois Nazis"?  :)

I like Duvall in 3 Women too.  Heck, I like her in everything, she's terribly underrated.

As for Belushi, it's the whole package.  I don't think there's a single thing he does in that movie that I don't love.  Admittedly, there's also a bit of tokenism involved... I felt that comedic performances were underrepresented on my list.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
14. Kerry Fox - An Angel at My Table

This performance doesn't get enough praise.  Incredible work.

* Likewise, my vote for Setsuko Hara in Early Summer is basically a vote for Setsuko Hara in ANY Ozu film.  She's always amazing.  Early Summer was just the one that first won me over.

Have you seen her work with Naruse?  She is outstanding in Sound of the Mountain and Repast.  Really touching work, there.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
* Likewise, my vote for Setsuko Hara in Early Summer is basically a vote for Setsuko Hara in ANY Ozu film.  She's always amazing.  Early Summer was just the one that first won me over.

Have you seen her work with Naruse?  She is outstanding in Sound of the Mountain and Repast.  Really touching work, there.

Oh yes, I love her in both of those.  She's also wonderful in Kurosawa's The Idiot (although there isn't nearly enough of her).

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »

12. Audrey Tautou as Amelie Poulain in Amelie
"Nino is late. Amelie can only see two explanations. 1 - he didn't get the photo. 2 - before he could assemble it, a gang of bank robbers took him hostage. The cops gave chase. They got away... but he caused a crash. When he came to, he'd lost his memory. An ex-con picked him up, mistook him for a fugitive, and shipped him to Istanbul. There he met some Afghan raiders who too him to steal some Russian warheads. But their truck hit a mine in Tajikistan. He survived, took to the hills, and became a Mujaheddin. Amelie refuses to get upset for a guy who'll eat borscht all his life in a hat like a tea cozy."

11. Forest Whitaker as Ghost Dog in Ghost Dog
"Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall, there was this one: "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly." Master Ittei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.""

10. Joseph Gordan Levitt as Brendan Frye in Brick
"Nah, Bulls would gum it, Then flash their dusty standards at the wide-eyes and probably find some yegg to pin, probably even the right one, But they'd trample the real tracks, scare the real players back into their holes. If we're doing this I want the whole story. No cops, not for a bit.

9. Brad Pitt as Tyler Durdan in Fight Club
"First you have to give up, first you have to know... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die"

8. Samantha Morton as Morvern Callar in Morvern Callar
"CINECAST! work Lana. You can go anywhere you like."

7. Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey in Magnolia
"What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you. "

6. Billy Crudup as Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke (English dub)
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate."

5. Michael Fassbender as Bobby Sands in Hunger
"Ai, We're only human"

4. Gabriel Byrne as Tom Reagen in Miller's Crossing
"Nobody knows anybody. Not that well."

3. Michelle Williams as Wendy in Wendy and Lucy
"You be good. I'm gonna make some money, I'll come back."

2. Juliette Binoche as Julie in Three Colours: Blue
"I don't want any belongings, any memories. No friends, no love. Those are all traps"

1. Nathan Fillion as Malcolm Reynolds in Serenity
"I look out for me and mine. That don't include you 'less I conjour it does. Now you stuck a thorn in the Alliance's paw. That tickles me a bit. But it also means I have to step twice as fast and that means turnin' down plenty of jobs, even honest ones. I put this crew together with the promise of work, which the alliance makes harder every year. Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you."
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

That's a great pick right there. Crudup nails that guy-who-sees-the-big-picture tone. Here as well as in Watchmen. :)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »

That's a great pick right there. Crudup nails that guy-who-sees-the-big-picture tone. Here as well as in Watchmen. :)

Well, he is a golden god.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »
Come on other Filmspotters, get those lists in.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »

I'll be the stick here...if you don't participate in this list, the official Filmspotting Top 100 performances list will be driven more strongly by what I think. Be afraid, be very afraid.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

I'll be the stick here...if you don't participate in this list, the official Filmspotting Top 100 performances list will be driven more strongly by what I think. Be afraid, be very afraid.

;D

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
We have until the end of the year don't we?

love