love

Author Topic: How to do some things with this forum software?  (Read 2189 times)

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
How to do some things with this forum software?
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
I am a vBulletin master and generally feel like a fish out of water in any non-vBul forums like this one. I am still trying to figure out if the following things are possible on this board:

1. Is there any way to "unsubscribe" from threads? I use the "Show new replies to your posts" link to see if any threads I've posted to have been updated, but I don't care to follow EVERY one of those threads. How can I tell the forum to stop including threads I don't care about? (Is there another way to track specific threads only?)

2. Is there a way to ignore posts from certain individuals?

Also, a more general question. Anyone know what's going on with this forum's Search feature? This board seems to lean toward the "re-use existing threads" model, so a working Search is pretty helpful thing. However easily 4 out of 5 times I attempt to use it, I get a "404 - Component not found" error or an infinite hang. Is this a server load issue, or what? (Seems weird that it doesn't happen ALL of the time if it's really a 404.) It's become quite frustrating.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: How to do some things with this forum software?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
There used to be an ignore member option, but there was great debate and it was removed.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
There used to be an ignore member option, but there was great debate and it was removed.
Haha, I can imagine. I prefer to just quietly ignore certain posters (and I've literally only ever done it maybe 3 or 4 times) and leave it at that. But I have frequently seen cases where person X ignores person Y, and then whenever person Y posts anything anywhere on the forum, person X always follows up with "You cannot see this post because Y is on your ignore list," which is just ridiculously childish. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »
The ignore button will never come back.

We are not that forum.  There are lots of forums out there that are different from Filmspotting's.

I'm sure you can work it out...
Texan Down Under

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
The ignore button will never come back.

We are not that forum.  There are lots of forums out there that are different from Filmspotting's.

I'm sure you can work it out...
Wow, haha, no need to go all soap-opera there. It was a purely innocent question (I pwomise). Although your response did evoke an amusing scenario of life at the Saltine residence.

SALTY'S S.O.: Honey, do you know where the remote is?

SALTY: The remote control will never come back. This is not that television. There are lots of televisions out there that are different from ours. I'M SURE YOU CAN WORK IT OUT!

SALTY'S S.O.: ...
SALTY'S S.O.: Oops- haha, I was sitting on it!

SALTY: *seethes*

love