Author Topic: Beavermoose & Friends FS Top 100 Group Marathon  (Read 32162 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Beavermoose & Friends FS Top 100 Group Marathon
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
I agree. It really is a funny film and I'm not sure why most people don't pick up on it. I always find it a great watch, even though it is depressing and dark at times.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
White did make my top 100 last year, and was my favorite of the trilogy.  I'll be interested to see where it lands this year.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
According the the spreadsheet, I believe White only got 1 vote. Apparently yours. Which is unfortunate.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
AHEM! >:(

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »
Yeah, actually, if you are looking at THIS year's spreadsheet, I didn't turn in a proper list (only 13 films, I think).  I was talking about last year when I voted for White.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
Red #63
Krzysztof Kieślowski

Red seems to combine the powerful mood of Blue and the strong narrative of White. Just like the others, this film looks and sounds amazing. The blue was cold and depressing, the white was light-hearted and tragic, the red in this film creates this feeling of warmth. That warmth felt when creating a connection to someone, when feeling pain or love. This film is all about connections. Valentine befriends this man who finds connections between his life and the lives of those around him. Some relationships are broken, Valentine struggles with her far away boyfriend, and others are created, this friendship with this old man. Its a powerful film in many ways and is probably the best looking of the trilogy. Although that might just be because Irene Jacob is so gorgeous to look at.
Kieslowski's swan song is this film, but these three films should not be treated as separate. I enjoyed all of them and they each complement each other in such great ways that I'm hard pressed to say that any one was better than the other. Discovering Kieslowski has been quite an experience and I'm looking forward to watching The Decalogue.

After a first viewing, will MAYBE make my top 100.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:44:00 AM by Beavermoose »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
Probably because of the solid narrative White is my favorite by Kieślowski.  I love how the film is not about revenge but equality and how the road to get there is deliberately convoluted. 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »
Wait what? The whole point of White is equality leads to revenge.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
Re: Beavermoose's Filmspotting Top 100 he hasn't seen Marathon
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
The Passion of Joan of Arc #22
Carl Theodor Dreyer

To be fair, I do believe that the the "Voices of Light" music made this film much more enjoyable than it should have been. It is an amazing soundtrack. Falconetti's performance is powerful but limited. She has only three different expressions and performs each of them flawlessly. The cinematography is so unique and gorgeous with its gruesome close-ups and its low angle empty frames. For a film where very little happens this was surprisingly easy to watch and was a very enjoyable and powerful experience. It gave me chills.

After a first viewing, WILL make my top 100.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:19:00 AM by Beavermoose »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »
Crimes and Misdemeanors (2008 #88)

I may be peculiar in that Match Point is my favorite Woody Allen film. With its adultery related plot, Crimes and Misdemeanors is a natural comparison piece within Allen's filmography. Allen may not be the lead actor here (with Landau and Alda it can be a bit tough to know where the focus is) but I'm wondering if he is what holds back much of his other stuff. He's certainly delivered a number of good films that are interesting and funny, but they are so wrapped in a certain attitude that just doesn't connect. This is something that Match Point, by getting Allen and New York out of the picture, didn't face and it allowed it to just focus on an incredibly appealing narrative.

An example of Allen's touch here is when his character is talking to his sister about her date. It isn't especially relevant but it gives Allen a chance to be Allen. And I guess the plot development here seems less logical or emotionally justified. The stakes are less immediate. Also this story is more layered...that might sound like a good thing but I feel like jumping between these two main storylines it makes each a little less powerful than having a keener focus, the primary characters can be developed that much better. I don't know, that Match Point is better is something that couldn't be clearer in my mind.

Nuke-U-Lar joke hindsight ftw!

love