love

Author Topic: Beavermoose & Friends FS Top 100 Group Marathon  (Read 32163 times)

michael x

• Elite Member
Re: Beavermoose's Filmspotting Top 100 he hasn't seen Marathon
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »

pictures!

• #12 - Rear Window  (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)

So now that I've watched the big three from Hitchcock - Vertigo, Psycho, and Rear Window - within the time-frame of a month or two, I can definitely see why he's regarded so highly. His films are highly entertaining, but with deep themes and a stamp personal enough to satisfy any auteurist. Like the other two films, Rear Window starts off slowly (excruciatingly so for my modern sensibilities), but it actually fits the story this time around. Hitchcock relays his fear of impotence and weakness with startling clarity as the suspense slowly, methodically builds to unbearable levels. That element, plus the natural, restrained feel of the entire piece, make this my favorite of the three. The theme of voyeurism / reflection of audience desires is written about quite a bit, but it's one of those elements that I think is more interesting to write about than to watch.

Rear Window is now my #54th favorite film of all-time.

• #171 - Wings of Desire  (Wim Wenders, 1987)

So many wonderful poetic ramblings! I like this film for the same reason I like - it captures essential elements of the human experience perfectly with delicious, rich B&W photography. The wonder of life, the fear of death, the pain of impotent observation. Unfortunately, I didn't like the ending one bit. The Nick Cave music goes too-much-punk-not-enough-blues and the poetry of the leads' relationship is given a bizarre final monologue. I could feel the film slipping away as the film failed to cohere its thematic and story elements together. Something was needed to tie everything together, and the ending chosen didn't do it for me. I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's still quite good, but after the first 45 minutes, I was thinking Top 5 all time, and it's definitely not that now (after this viewing, at least).

Wings of Desire is now somewhere between #151 and #200 on my all-time favorites list.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
The Red Shoes #81
Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger

Going through these Powell/Pressburger films along with Adam and Matty, I've really developed a new appreciation for technicolor movies. There really is nothing quite like them anymore. The slightly over-saturated colors give The Red Shoes a specific dream like quality, engrossing us completely into the world of the ballet.
Anton Walbrook is too good and Powell gets an amazing performance out of Moira Shearer who is an amazing ballerina, not a professional actress. She brilliantly portrays the struggle of choosing between the man she loves and her passion for dance.
Everything works in this film, I was in awe the whole time. I don't know what else to say.

After a first viewing, will MAYBE make my top 100.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:12:57 AM by Beavermoose »

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
Duck Soup #96
Leo McCarey

I guess what determines whether I enjoyed the film is whether or not I enjoy the Marx Brothers' "shtick".
I'll answer with a more or less.
From most to less annoying: Harpo>Groucho>Zeppo>Chico
From most to less funny: Groucho>Chico>Harpo>Zeppo
I hated Harpo and his humor He's just cutting things with scissors and knocking things out of people's hands. He's not funny he's a douche. The others were less annoying but still had their annoying moments. The one section that I genuinely enjoyed was the entire doppelganger section up to and including the mirror scene. I also enjoyed the few songs that were sung.
The Marx Bros. type of humor just doesn't do it for me I guess.

After a first viewing, will NOT make my top 100.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
Agreed. I just didn't find it that funny.  :-\

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
So will everyone be posting their reviews in this thread?

I guess. I could get a mod to change the tread title to encompass everyone and you can just link from your first posts to your reviews.

If you want to change the thread title, just edit the first post in the thread (yours) and change the subject line. Power to the people!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
The Red Shoes #81

Going through these Powell/Pressburger films along with Adam and Matty, I've really developed a new appreciation for technicolor movies. There really is nothing quite like them anymore. The slightly over-saturated colors give The Red Shoes a specific dream like quality, engrossing us completely into the world of the ballet.
Anton Walbrook is too good and Powell gets an amazing performance out of Moira Shearer who is an amazing ballerina, not a professional actress. She brilliantly portrays the struggle of choosing between the man she loves and her passion for dance.
Everything works in this film, I was in awe the whole time. I don't know what else to say.

YAY!

If you are enamoured with technicolor, I have to ask: have you seen The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Thief of Bagdad?

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
The Red Shoes #81

YAY!

If you are enamoured with technicolor, I have to ask: have you seen The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Thief of Bagdad?
I have not but they are on the list.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Beavermoose & Friends FS Top 100 Group Marathon
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »
Miller's Crossing

There was a discussion a week or two ago about whether you can sort direction from quality of films (because Kevin Smith, likely not a great director, keeps making great films). While I stand by my intermingling of the two overall, from a technical standpoint, the Coens definitely stand out as great directors. Their films are always better than they should be based on the story itself. Even the ones I'm lukewarm on have such a masterful visual attention for detail. Unfortunately, that doesn't guarantee that the films will be great.

This one qualifies as one of the better Coen films. At points it toyed with second or third best (O Brother and The Man Who Wasn't There being tops) but I found it struggled to sustain the energy in the final third with the plot threads getting a bit tangled up. Still, what effective neo-noir with Gabriel Byrne playing a great anti-hero, a bit smarter and cooler than the rest, and Marcia Gay Harden in the femme fatale role, making us never quite sure what is true emotion and what's an angle.

So at the end of the day I can't say it ever truly threatened my top-100 and it falls into second-tier Coens (where most of them fall) of great promise but insufficiently consistent delivery to attain true greatness. Still very happy to have been motivated to catch up with it.

P.S. I plan on introducing "What's the rumpus?" into my everyday conversation.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Beavermoose & Friends FS Top 100 Group Marathon
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
The Double Life of Veronique

I feel like this is a film that fans of David Lynch would love. I'm not a fan of David Lynch. It has a lot of odd lighting, off-kilter camera angles and random scenes that seem to serve no purpose but to throw you off your guard. And like Mulholland, you've got a film that centers on a female character that has some identity...issues. I expect I have the same issue of smirnoff. I like clear narratives and this isn't...it isn't a film for me. And like 1SO, having at this point seen Blue, White and now this, I'd put White as my favorite (though I didn't love it). Unlike 1SO I really liked The Dekalog. I can't say watching this has raised my anticipation for watching Red later in this marathon. I think KK should stick to short films about the ten commandments. I wish I had something more interesting to say about it than that.