Author Topic: FS #318: The Town / Top 5 Boston Movies  (Read 8426 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: FS #318: The Town / Top 5 Boston Movies
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
It's cool. We know it takes extra time to process Affleckian film grammar. Looking forward to it!
Affleck is an auteur.  I say this with a straight face because he has made two great films.

No doubt, he's got a solid handle. Definitely made improvements this time around, too.
Yeah, but what are his movies about? What's his personal signature? Boston ain't enough.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
It's cool. We know it takes extra time to process Affleckian film grammar. Looking forward to it!
Affleck is an auteur.  I say this with a straight face because he has made two great films.

No doubt, he's got a solid handle. Definitely made improvements this time around, too.
Yeah, but what are his movies about? What's his personal signature? Boston ain't enough.

He makes very character driven movies, about the choices that people make based on their place in life. How it confines some and only very few are able to liberate themselves from their surroundings. Of course every director is an auteur, so it doesn't really matter, but even if you want to go with the more restrictive definition of an auteur, Affleck still qualifies.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:43:26 PM by DOOM!!! »

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
Listening to it now. Will have thoughts up afterwards.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »
Interesting you liked the romance Adam as that was the least successful part of the film in my opinion. I agree that the movie started out great and slowly went downhill until it culminates with the horrible ending.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Interesting you liked the romance Adam as that was the least successful part of the film in my opinion. I agree that the movie started out great and slowly went downhill until it culminates with the horrible ending.

I like the romance in so far as it involves affleck and hall on screen together with some decent chemistry and the tension of his other motives.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
I definitely agree with you guys on the film. Hall is always great to watch on screen and the romance is probably the best part of the film. Other than that, I was not a fan. I can NOT believe the ridiculous praise this is getting.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
Almost forgot: Props for not saying "wicked pissah."

Chicago At Night

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
No worries as long as you make up for it by reviewing The Social Network and Let Me In next week.   ;)

Next week you should review "I'm Still Here So Let Me In And Never Let Me Go".  ;)

Is it bad that my first thought jumped straight to this?

Please tell me this movie doesn't exist and you just threw the picture together with Photoshop.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »
No worries as long as you make up for it by reviewing The Social Network and Let Me In next week.   ;)

Next week you should review "I'm Still Here So Let Me In And Never Let Me Go".  ;)

Is it bad that my first thought jumped straight to this?

Please tell me this movie doesn't exist and you just threw the picture together with Photoshop.

I've seen it. It exists. It's worse than it looks.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Chicago At Night

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
I hate spoofs;they're the lowest kind of movies.

I have to imagine that the film-makers are breaking copyright laws with films like this, Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans

love