love

Author Topic: Horror 2010 Group Marathon  (Read 25010 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Horror 2010 Group Marathon
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
Monkey Shines

An odd one for the first Romero horror film I've seen. I'm not sure what I expected from this, a film I put in my marathon because I remember the cover with the knife-weilding monkey from the grocery store display as a child, but it wasn't this. Rather than a bloody slasher film, we get a taut, emotional thriller with hints of Hitchcock. The only hint that this might be a horror film at all in the first thirty minutes is the scientist, Geoffrey's experimentation on monkey's that involves human brain tissue. One knows that probably can't end well.

Our main character is Allan, a runner and law student who is hit by a car and is left quadriplegic. Geoffrey, a friend, decides to donate his monkey to help him out. Pretty soon we find that the monkey, Ella (the best performance in the film by Boo), seems to have a connection to Allan and he worries that Ella is responding to his anger with violence. Most of the acting here is only so-so (you get small roles from Stanley Tucci and Stephen Root) but the development of the story is just done so wonderfully. I had a really good time with this.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »
Session 9

I like Peter Mullan but man this is taking a long time to go anywhere. It is about a crew of hazardous material cleanup (asbestos and the like) who take a job cleaning up an abandoned mental institution. I made it halfway through and nothing had happened other than it thinking being in a mental institution was enough. Cropsey was a documentary and managed to be more suspenseful. I'd normally stick it out but the night is just young enough that I can switch up to the one final Shocktober entry and try to finish this more or less on time.

Ok, this other film definitely isn't horror. The title of the collection of shorts is Labyrinth of Darkness and the cover image is freaky but the whole thing is rather esoteric. So that means my Shocktober is finished. Rankings are as follows:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Cropsey
Monkey Shines
Aaah Zombies
The House of The Yellow Carpet
Fido
Cube
Peeping Tom
Three...Extremes
Suspiria
Trick r Treat
A Tale of Two Sisters
Primal
Session 9
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:46:20 PM by Bondo »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Horror 2010 Group Marathon - 1SO's 2nd Annual His & Her Marathon
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
Today was Mr. and Mrs. 1SO's 2nd Annual Not-So-Scary Halloween Marathon.

The Addams Family
This and a bowl of Boo Berry cereal really set the tone for the day.  Not a horror movie, but there's appropiate silly goth atmosphere that reminds you of the fun side of Halloween.  The Mrs. had never seen this before - she's a Munsters girl - and enjoyed it quite a bit, especially watching how this creepy family is so joyful in their outsider status.  They're the happy ones.  My 3rd viewing.  I still like it.  Even though the film repeats the same Bizarro world joke over and over, I'd say about 1 in 4 finds an unpredictable route to the expected punchline.  And while it's overburdened by Art Direction jokes and Raimi-esque camera moves, those little moments are what save the film.  I've always liked Ricci's Wednesday Addams (and the sword duel at the school is still the highlight), but this time I was most impressed by the late Raul Julia.  He throws himself into the part with an energy and abandon I've never seen from him.
Him: B, Her: A-

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
I do get tired of Linus repeating over and over what The Great Pumpkin does, but this annual tradition is more clever than you may remember.  ("I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy.")
Him: B+, Her: A

Where the Sidewalk Ends
When we weren't able to get The Old Dark House, I scrambled to find a replacement.  I came across this noir featuring some of the key players from Laura, but a story reported to be much darker.  Things start out okay, with the main murder quickly being compounded by our lead (Dana Andrews) trying hard to cover up a 2nd death.  This takes up the bulk of the film, and while it's interesting for a while we both started getting impatient for something more to happen.  The resolution to both stories happens quicker than the time it takes to light a cigarette.  There's no 3rd Act here.  Just a letter.
Him: C-, Her: D

The Thing From Another World
The main event of the day since neither of us had seen it.  We both enjoyed the character interaction, which is as fast and thick as you want from Howard Hawks (who didn't direct... or did he?)  He's really one of the best for putting a group of people in a room with a lot of dialogue.  And there is some tension and a couple of surprise scares, but...  
She will never watch Carpenter's The Thing.  Never.  So giant carrot man tearing up a room full of people is good enough for her.  It's John Wayne as Herman Munster.  For me, what Carpenter got perfect was the concept of The Thing itself.  It's ability to disguise and take on new forms makes the redo a horror classic.  The attack scenes during the remake comprise some of the greatest horror imagery ever.  But I find the characters in the remake to be almost devoid of separate personalities and the dialogue is woefully limp.  Its more memorable lines work more on a camp level.  If you could combine Hawks' characters with Carpenter's creature you'd truly have the definitive version of this story.
Him: B, Her: B+

The Muppet Show with Alice Cooper
This was actually the creepiest thing we watched all day.  The show didn't back away from the satanic air of Alice Cooper, who got a lot of creepy closeups and opened with a straightforward performance of "Welcome to My Nightmare".  In fact, many of the regular cast members only make cameos in this ep, and usually it's to talk about how they're avoiding such a spooky show.  The best bit is a running gag where Cooper is trying to get Kermit and Gonzo to sign a contract to become rich and famous in exchange for their souls.  It's a nice effort, but ultimately Cooper and The Muppets don't mix well together.
Him: C-, Her: D

The Game
Another last minute addition to close out the marathon.  You might not see this as a Halloween movie, but there's a high level of Tricks and Treats, a few startling jolts and a creepy clown.  I still think it's Fincher's most underappreciated.  Until the denouncement it's every bit as good as Se7en and Fight Club.  That's why it's too bad the final reveal shows that Fincher's desire to create an exciting picture stretched credibility a couple of steps too far.  My wife (who loves puzzle movies) enjoyed the game and had fun guessing what was going on, but was ultimately a bit let down by the motivation.  She like her mysteries and con films to be about the desire for personal wealth, not personal growth.
Him: A-, Her: B-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:06:27 PM by 1SO »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
Your take on The Thing (1982) was so different from mine I had to post. Vive le difference since we both love it. ;D

it is a pure paranoia thriller; depending on the ensemble cast to sell the story. This is an excellent cast. A non-wisecracking Russell, Wilford Brimley, Richard Dysart, David Clennon, Keith David. They all take a different approach in their reactions to the alien and to their suspicions of the other men.

However, mentioning The Game in the same breath as Se7en & Fight Club, couldn't disagree more.

Anyway never mind that; great reviews and thanks for putting the Horror marathon together.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:47:24 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
I thought Cropsey was pretty cool, too. The most disturbing thing was the report that Rivera did from inside the hospital-thing. Scary stuff right there.

The Thing from Another World isn't really great horror but it is kind of awesome. Hawks team stuff to the extreme!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2010, 03:06:27 AM »
The Children (2008)

Fittingly back from the dead, I just happened to watch this film tonight (this morning, I suppose) and it happened to be horror. As the title might suggest, it is of the "the kids have gone evil" brand of horror. There are arguably a few social commentary type moments but they are not a solid through-line. What is constant is just an incredibly effective sense of tension and some true horror. I often have a general idea what's going to happen next yet it almost always paid off even when it wasn't surprising.

I have to say, this is one of those films that disturbs me in the sense that I wonder how they filmed it such that the child actors weren't traumatized. It really is that raw and physical and ultimately something I would recommend to fans of the genre (and no one else).

love