Who is the best director?

Danny Boyle
9 (28.1%)
David Fincher
16 (50%)
Darren Aronofsky
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: The battle of the D's  (Read 4039 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: The battle of the D's
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
From what I've seen and heard he seems very controlled and that's probably a good way to describe his films lately.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
From what I've seen and heard he seems very controlled and that's probably a good way to describe his films lately.

He's certainly the leather appointed European sports car cockpit of the three - one can slip in and feel decidedly rich in the blink of an eye. I hope he's a drunkard as Lush is really the best word. 

That whole Ben Button bit "I liked the script" seemed a bit snarky so I don't think he's lost all of his CINECAST! you sentiment - I mean what the hell did that awesome regatta scene have to do with anything? - but he seems to have mellowed more than the other two.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:57 AM »
His last three films have moments of Fight Club-esque craziness but they're way better films than that one. I guess it's kind of a maturing process. I hope B never matures. He seems like a kind of manic 16 year old that has mad skills and energy. A, I have no idea what he would be like if going by his films. They're pretty disparate as far as subject matter and technique goes. His films have gotten steadily better, though, so that's something.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »
All great, but had to go with Boyle

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »
Very difficult poll question. I voted Fincher.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
Considering two of these three I revisited all their films as part of my Great Directors marathon, it might be worth doing so with DA as well. I've seen The Wrestler twice now (a solid 4/5) but haven't seen any of the others a second time yet. I'm pretty confident I still won't think much of Pi or The Fountain but Requiem really does deserve another look.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »
His last three films have moments of Fight Club-esque craziness but they're way better films than that one. I guess it's kind of a maturing process. I hope B never matures. He seems like a kind of manic 16 year old that has mad skills and energy. A, I have no idea what he would be like if going by his films. They're pretty disparate as far as subject matter and technique goes. His films have gotten steadily better, though, so that's something.

I think the technique in As films isn't all that disparate - at least in terms of the end.  He always tries to invest the audience in the immediacy of the onscreen action.  To borrow from Strange Days - You're there, you're doing it, you're feeling it.  Via the camera and editing he creates a more active, viceral experience as opposed to a passive viewing one.  I don't think the other two use their inherent frenetecism to this end nearly as much.  

B loves the urban rhythms and taking different genres for a spin.  He's also very community focused.  Almost always the individual rejoins society at the end of a Boyle film.  Ewan chooses life, DiCaprio connects with his family via email, Murphy gets rescued & sacrafices for the benefit of mankind, Franco escapes from isolation.  Society is the safety that each person must return to, the collective wins.

Fincher likes Serial Killers!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
If we take GDT off the table, these three are probably my favorite directors right now. I never really though of B as the community guy but I think it fits. He's the modern day John Ford! And your take on the way A uses his techniques is spot on but those techniques themselves seem to differ more than they do for the other two. I'd be hard pressed finding the ways that The Fountain and The Wrestler are similar visually outside of the way those visuals connect you to the story/characters.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »

Fincher likes Serial Killers!

This is why I could not pick him, Zodiac and Seven I am unlikely to see.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
Zodiac is amazing. It's not really about the killer or the kills and they both kind of disappear after the first hour or so. You should really give it a chance.