4 (10.8%)
don't like any
1 (2.7%)
Top of the Lake
0 (0%)
The Power of the Dog
1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Campion, Jane  (Read 20189 times)

Adrienne

Re: Director's Best: Jane Campion
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
The Piano
Harvey Keitel
oh yes

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
People still hold The Piano in high regard.  I find her poorly executed concepts to be among the worst of the 90's crop of filmmakers.  We around here barely mention Neil Jordon, but he's far more talented than Campion.  The fact that she's been abe to make as many movies as she has and draw such talent speaks of the regard the film community hold her in. She's even less interesting than Catherine Breillat who I also don't care for.  But Breillat doesn't pretend to be so much more than she is.
So it's essentially just The Piano that you find overrated then?

It's not clear to me what you mean by poorly executed concepts - could you give me a bit more than that? I'd agree that something like Holy Smoke wasn't as good as the idea that seemed to be behind it - but that's the only one I can see that would fit your description. (And I know flieger disagrees with me on HS. :) )

I'm not exactly sure what Jordon has to do with Campion being overrated . . . ? Plenty of great directors are rarely, if ever, mentioned around here, and I find it odd that you'd begrudge Campion the few mentions she gets because a particular director you like doesn't get as much attention as she? Practically any director might be described as overrated by that standard of measurement. :) But I think I understand - I, personally, was more irritated by the orgiastic ecstasies over Tarantino's terd than I would have been had I not thought Bright Star deserved more attention. ;)

Is she able to make a lot of movies? Her output doesn't really seem like all that much to me - 8 feature films or so?

And to your last comment - you find her pretentious - is that what you mean there? I find that really odd - my feeling about her and her films comes down to quite the opposite! I loved her interview on The Treatment a while back - she sounded as wonderfully modest and unassuming as I expected to her to based on her films. I kind of fell in love with her. :)

flieger

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 01:06:12 AM »
And to your last comment - you find her pretentious - is that what you mean there? I find that really odd - my feeling about her and her films comes down to quite the opposite! I loved her interview on The Treatment a while back - she sounded as wonderfully modest and unassuming as I expected to her to based on her films. I kind of fell in love with her. :)

Totally agree, oad. And yes, it was great to listen to her and Elvis chat away on The Treatment:)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:55 AM »
I could do a point-by-point response, but what I'm reading is that her films mean something to you and that you respect and enjoy what she brings to the table.  I have no reason to try and attack that.  It'd just be huffing and puffing at a brick wall.  I'm glad you enjoy her and her films.  I have been far less than impressed by what I've seen, and that's where we stand.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

Totally agree, oad. And yes, it was great to listen to her and Elvis chat away on The Treatment:)
:) :)

I could do a point-by-point response, but what I'm reading is that her films mean something to you and that you respect and enjoy what she brings to the table.  I have no reason to try and attack that.  It'd just be huffing and puffing at a brick wall.  I'm glad you enjoy her and her films.  I have been far less than impressed by what I've seen, and that's where we stand.
Fair enough. :)

Mandrake

• Elite Member
  • Do you pick your toes in Poughkeepsie?
    • Nat's Media Rap
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »
Holy Smoke because Kate is nude much of the time but this has nothing to do with Harvey Keitel's ass - someone should do a poll Top Films with Harvey Keitel's Ass Showcased

The Piano SUCKED

Adrienne

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »
Holy Smoke because Kate is nude much of the time but this has nothing to do with Harvey Keitel's ass - someone should do a poll Top Films with Harvey Keitel's Ass Showcased
The Piano SUCKED
It didna  ;D

Lola

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
Bright Star shoul have received more acclaim
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
~ Shakespeare from the play As You Like it (1623)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »
I went with 'Passionless Moments' only because its the only one I've seen.  It's a decent short.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
I've only seen The Piano, a good film with a reputation that far exceeds its stature
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love